Author Topic: And There You Have It  (Read 11584 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: And There You Have It
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:18 AM »
I guess I'm just no purist. I remember discussions a few years back that Avril Lavigne wasn't really rock, but pop, that Garth Brooks wasn't really country, that Johnny Cash's Rick Rubin ouevre wasn't really country anymore or discussions here that if Ten Years After play a blues it's not really blues because Alvin Lee was some limey and not born in a shack in Mississippi, that Glenn Hughes or Mothers Finest were too funk to be credibly rock (or the other way around), that Joe Bonamassa is too squeaky clean to be a blues guitarist. I'd like to think that if you had, say, time machined the Ten Years After line up around the time they played Woodstock into a Cotton Club of the 30ies and given them period-correct instruments for an ad hoc gig, that they would have then sure raised a few sceptic black eyebrows at first, but won the audience over in the end.

That only music from a certain point in time and a certain place is pure, credible and the real thing is to me a notion similar to the love for vintage (and only those) instruments. There is a whole bunch of feelings attached to that type of nostalgia that have very little to do with music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcUDErLzM8
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 04:10:01 AM »
Is'nt it more of the nuance thing? We need to narrow down everything, sort it and put it in the correct jar. How many different kinds of metal genres are there in music because of this? Oh well, Lemmy always said Motörhead played rock 'n roll and who would argue? It's just words as a short description of the music.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »
The Band Perry =  :puke:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
That's a very helpful remark.  :mrgreen:

OMG, they are three young people riding the country pop wagon, worse crimes have happened. Do they really have less credibility than Suzi Quatro, The Runaways, Pat Benatar or The Bangles? Is their music more artificial than Lynn Anderson's?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
How about a neo-roots cover of (early) Radiohead?
https://youtu.be/attWLjs5WWs
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Admittedly, I have serious issues with Radiohead, it's elevator music for manic depressives to me, so I like this a lot better than anything I have heard by Radiohead yet.

The best thing I can say about Radiohead is that they are at least not Led Zeppelin.  :mrgreen:

I'm probably being grossly unfair, but I have made several attempts with Yorke & Co., and everytime their music does nothing to me (I have several of their albums, also their legendary ones), it does so little, I don't even find it offensive, it just puts me to sleep.  :bored:

I did/do like the unorthodox chord change in Creep (from a major chord to a major third step chord, but that played in major again and not - as the laws of harmony would have it - in minor), but they swiped that (by their own admission) off Albert Hammond's The Air That I Breathe. And that is a song whose chorus always sweeps me away.  :gay:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »
So you're saying you don't like Radiohead or Led Zeppelin?
Wow!  Tell us more!  ;D
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
Jackie's got at least one LP by Lynn Anderson... but she likes all sorts of stuff... country... and western... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
I fail to understand Radiohead  :rolleyes: and my entrails are devoured by jealousy and incomprehension at the inordinate, even obscene success of Led Zep over DP with

- a le(a)den, dragging drummer,

- a bassist you couldn't hear very well (and when he played keyboards, he didn't even wear a cape, stab the keys with a knife or tip the Hammond over),

- a terrible lyricist oooh-awing all over the place with nothing relevant, much less witty to say plus

- a sloppy lead guitarist with way too many suspended chords grating with my German-anal-retentive sense of musical order (it's either major or minor, jawohl!).

Let's not even start how they were never produced by Martin Birch and how Page's production sounds weird and all indirect, cavernous echo-y to me. I guess that hides inaccurate playing better. :-X

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My son, when he's trying to be (very) mean to me (his Page impressions are much better than his Blackmore ones), says that I simply don't hear the sex in Led Zep's music while DP is devoid of that and just cerebral and well-executed, but lacks "mojo". And the he adds that I play too many thirds when playing bass and if he made a bass for me he'd take the thirds out on the fretboard! :mrgreen:

Radiohead is neither cerebral nor sexy to me. Not a lot of thirds either. Useless really.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:19:12 AM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
If I keep feigning surprise, will Uwe keep going?  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:33 PM »
The Band Perry =  :puke:

:toast:

That's a very helpful remark.  :mrgreen:

OMG, they are three young people riding the country pop wagon, worse crimes have happened. Do they really have less credibility than Suzi Quatro, The Runaways, Pat Benatar or The Bangles? Is their music more artificial than Lynn Anderson's?

They are a credible easy listening pop band. Nothing country about 'em.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 12:47:47 AM »
They are a credible easy listening pop band. Nothing country about 'em.

I take just as much exception to the term "band" being applied to them as I do "country:" pure high fructose saccharine.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »
If I keep feigning surprise, will Uwe keep going?  ;D

I rest my (Zeppelin) case, I've pretty much summed it up now.  :mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »
You have to move a Zeppelin case when you relocate Ze Kollection...? I never realised CC's offices were that big...! I thought they normally had a hanger... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2017, 07:11:09 AM »
Gotta agree about most Zeppelin.  I liked the first couple albums. That's it.