Author Topic: Uwe! Six string RD Artist bass  (Read 9212 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Uwe! Six string RD Artist bass
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 05:47:48 AM »
I remember the bolt-on RD prototypes though I have never seen one (just like there were Victory set neck prototypes). But the six string configuration in a late seventies model seems strange to me - six string basses in guitar tuning (which had all been short scale) had gone long out of style back then, there was just no market for them, this guy excepted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2377uGYN8D0

And six-string basses with a low B were still a long way off, there weren't even strings for those yet. (Not that obtaining strings for this baby seems to be easy looking at what it is strung with.)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:15:08 AM »
Jules!

OK, good points (the headstock thing did occur to me, but there are other possible explanations), but what about the pathetically sloppy workmanship (even by Gibby standards - the pickguard cutout could be rationalised away for a prototype, but not the string spacing/bridge misalignment).

The one thing that really makes no sense if how the neck/headstock is so nicely done when the rest is so shit.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »
The carve of the neck heel looks like the type on set-necks not the standard Gibson bolt on heel.  Plenty of those 70s set neck blanks have been available over the last couple of decades.  Someone could have picked up one of those and built a bass around it explaining the decent woodworking on the neck and lack of hole filling VS the middle school shop class work on the body.

jules fly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »
But they don't have any ferrules... Did Gibson ever do that? Or anyone?

true - is there space for them? could they be just missing. Hard to say from the pics. The earlier (Ripper etc) open gear tuners had a narrower post hole than the later BM - if drilled for the former yet fitted with the latter there would be no room for ferrules. Obviously this could have been done by anyone at any point.

six string basses in guitar tuning (which had all been short scale) had gone long out of style back then, there was just no market for them

yes, true...

the pickguard cutout could be rationalised away for a prototype, but not the string spacing/bridge misalignment).

I am certainly not convinced by the bridge either!

Plenty of those 70s set neck blanks have been available over the last couple of decades.  Someone could have picked up one of those and built a bass around it

also true, I have a couple-  but none had a finished headstock with silk screened logo (not something easy to do yourself), plus this has a scarf joint joining the headstock to the neck - something only seen at that time on Grabbers / G3s - this fact makes the neck the most interesting feature.

I'd like to know width at neck, and headstock length. This would rule out (or not) a four string conversion.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
Most of those 'silk screened" logos aren't silk screened at all. They are waterslides.

Here's an example of the Epiphone Newport that I restored a while ago.
The logo was beyond repair and I just bought a brandnew waterslide Epiphone logo.
Can you tell the difference?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
The carve of the neck heel looks like the type on set-necks not the standard Gibson bolt on heel.  Plenty of those 70s set neck blanks have been available over the last couple of decades.  Someone could have picked up one of those and built a bass around it explaining the decent woodworking on the neck and lack of hole filling VS the middle school shop class work on the body.

Kinda what I was thinking, except I'm not sure a set neck would have enough tenon  to convert to bolt... also might change the scale or at least the point at which neck meets body.

The easiest explanation would be Ripper neck,.... and it seems maybe doable; I didn't remember how far out the neck joint goes vs older models (that way they could keep all the G series body blanks the same I guiess; production efficiency).

also, re logos, even without decals, silk screening is super easy - none of y'all even DIYed yer own band Tshirts?  I mean this is even just one color - no need to line up the next screen for the second colour, which is the hard bit (and I've done that).

jules fly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
Here is a photoshop comparison of the headstock vs a production RD - matching the tuning keys for size as close as possible. With slight changes in camera angle it is hard to be exact - but it certainly seems that this headstock is larger than the standard RDs...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
Yeah screen printing may be easy Jake, but most people don't own screening frames and all the other material you need to do screen printing.

Waterslide is ready to use and super easy. No tools or equipment needed.

jules fly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »
Here's an example of the Epiphone Newport that I restored a while ago.
The logo was beyond repair and I just bought a brandnew waterslide Epiphone logo.
Can you tell the difference?

No it's a good job. I can tell that is not 50 years old though...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
Yeah screen printing may be easy Jake, but most people don't own screening frames and all the other material you need to do screen printing.

Waterslide is ready to use and super easy. No tools or equipment needed.

Oh, not arguing your point - it most likely is a decal whether fake or not (even easier as well as cheaper; and what Fender uses; not sure about non-inlay Gibson stuff, but probably as well, at least these days). Just sayin that screen printing is not hard at all,  (you can get most of what you need at Home Despot) and just about anyone could do it if they wanted to.

And with Jules' shop job, there goes the Ripper neck theory (though it is close.... note also the volute difference - did headstock sizes change at all over time?).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:39:22 AM by Granny Gremlin »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:31 AM »
No it's a good job. I can tell that is not 50 years old though...
Could have done that. But I hate relics ;-)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 08:52:03 AM »
Gibson did build bass guitars with head stocks big enough to accomodate six large machine heads.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Yes, but did they do it in the 70s with all maple?

... You know I am quite sure the headstock on my RD Artist is big enough; they damn thing is huge.  Don't have it here with me to check.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »
I do remember that initial Ripper prototypes were bolt-on before they resorted to set-neck for production, kind of Victory in reverse.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Yes, but did they do it in the 70s with all maple?

... You know I am quite sure the headstock on my RD Artist is big enough; they damn thing is huge.  Don't have it here with me to check.

My EB-4L neck is all maple & a fairly large headstock.
I'll post a photo of the RD Artist, don't know if it will show the headstock well enough............

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!