Author Topic: Sad news about TM Stevens  (Read 9554 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Sad news about TM Stevens
« on: September 19, 2017, 05:48:05 AM »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Sad news about TM Stevens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
Terrible. 66 years old.  :-[

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »
Very sad. One of the posts on his FB page says he's in the final stages.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:21:20 AM »
I met him several times and the last couple of years he was hard to love. Drinking an awfull lot, being drunk in an hour, not functioning and leaving the party after an hour and a half, shouting, ... Maybe his abuse of alcohol has something to do with it. Still very sad.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:52:13 AM »
I met him once at Berklee when I was 17 when he did a clinic there. He gave out a bunch of sets of Dean Markley blue steels to all the students. He was very kind and talked to a number of us. He was a larger than life presence but radiantly happy, enthusiastic and good natured from what I could see. This was the summer of 1994. Perhaps his drinking developed as a coping mechanism because he may have already known he was deteriorating. Really cool Deep Purple cover album he put out, aside from his solo and session work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgdJA0yjU70

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:18:33 AM »
I met him several times and the last couple of years he was hard to love. Drinking an awfull lot, being drunk in an hour, not functioning and leaving the party after an hour and a half, shouting, ... Maybe his abuse of alcohol has something to do with it. Still very sad.

I know someone with it and alcohol was definitely not the cause since she never drank at all her whole life. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »
I have his 8-string custom shop LP Standard bass - one of two he owned. Very sad.  :-\ Had no idea, but had wondered why he was no longe heavily featured at Warwick bass clinics. I thought he was iconic in this vid here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twi28xWoLxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ynEpNTcVQ

What a kick-ass band that was. Should have continued, it really was thinking man's metal (bit like Alcatrazz and Judas Priest having illicit sex with one another and that can't be a bad thing) and we all know how prolific the Vai-discovered singer (Devin Townsend, yes him!) became.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:58:01 AM »

I know someone with it and alcohol was definitely not the cause since she never drank at all her whole life. 

There is such a thing as alcoholic dementia and there are other alcohol related brain disorders. I've seen a few affected persons, including a relative. It's not Alzheimer's, but the symptoms can be the same. After all, alcohol is a neurotoxin.

Whether TM's current condition has anything to do with alcohol, it's a pity that he let drinking interfere with his music to that extent. He certainly isn't the first.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
There is such a thing as alcoholic dementia and there are other alcohol related brain disorders. I've seen a few affected persons, including a relative. It's not Alzheimer's, but the symptoms can be the same. After all, alcohol is a neurotoxin.
Korsakoff

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »
You can no doubt drink yourself dumb, there is even a German expression for it ("Er hat sich blöd gesoffen."). And some people can't handle an alcohol dosage healthwise that has no impact (or not one as severe) on others. And there are studies according to which, while African-Americans drink less alcohol than whites across the board, they handle alcoholism (when and where it does occur) worse. Judging from my time in Africa, I would also say that black men aren't as alcohol-hardened as white men.

And all those rock star deaths due to pancreatic cancer, there wasn't a single one of them that I heard of who was not a heavy drinker at a certain time in his life (Jon Lord, Trevor Bolder, John Wetton, David Bowie - he first drank heavily before the US tours got him on coke, he would see the aftereffects of both) - just like the severe coke users died of heart attacks decades later (even after they had kicked the habit), Robert Palmer, Rick Parfitt, John Entwistle ... Some damage you do to yourself cannot be repaired.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:53:11 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

Whether TM's current condition has anything to do with alcohol, it's a pity that he let drinking interfere with his music to that extent. He certainly isn't the first.

The relative has just straightforward dementia which I suspect may have been related to some other problems, but alcohol or drugs were not involved. 

I have a friend who works as a therapist and she has mentioned treating Karsokoff's Syndrome patients, but I've never been around anyone with that. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:28:12 AM »
That's harsh news. The worst moments for a dementia patient are when he's aware of his condition. And they are from time to time.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
What a kick-ass band that was. Should have continued, it really was thinking man's metal (bit like Alcatrazz and Judas Priest having illicit sex with one another and that can't be a bad thing) and we all know how prolific the Vai-discovered singer (Devin Townsend, yes him!) became.

I saw that tour, but sadly neither Stevens or Bozzio were on it (it was Scott Thunes from Zappa, and Abe Laborial Jr.). Regardless, the show was surreal. Townsend blew my mind.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
Townsend is wacky, but extremely gifted. Vai succumbed to public pressure because the world wasn't yet ready for someone like Townsend - they could have created a handful of creative albums that would have stood the test of time.

Unlike Vai-era Whitesnake!  :rolleyes: That album is living proof that even stadium rock needs to be played with a heart to be convincing.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
Imagine the frustration of Adrian Vandenberg, when he had to watch Vai butcher his songs on the entire album...