Author Topic: I wired my 65 EB-3 back to stock  (Read 998 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
I wired my 65 EB-3 back to stock
« on: September 14, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
I wired my EB-3 back to stock the other day. I had clipped the choke where it goes onto the Varitone switch taking it out of the circuit. I had done that thinking that when I used both pickups there wasn't enough bottom but I started thinking that most of them years ago were stock and they sounded good so it must be me, which it was! :mrgreen: haha! I think the thing sounds great stock now and the pickups blend better although the bridge pickup still completely blanks out the neck mudbucker past about 8 or 9 on the knob. You would think it would be the other way around wouldn't you? I think part of the reason I get more bottom out of the pickup blend with the choke back in is that I put some La Bella Deep Talkin' flats on it. Anyone here have a similar experience to mine?

doombass

• View Profile
Re: I wired my 65 EB-3 back to stock
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
I have'nt even come so far as to reverse the connections on the volume pots so I actually can dial both pickups independently. Stock wiring has the pickup lead connected to the end of the pot and the output on the wiper (mid connection). That way both act as master volumes in position 3. Kind of strange that Gibson often do that. My 2006 LP geetar came that way also but I fixed that one pretty soon after I bought it.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:24:43 PM »
I put LaBella deep talkin' bass flats on my '65 EB-3 this spring. There was only a couple of sets at the importer's warehouse here in Norway - waited a while to get them and paid close to TI price. Turned out the E was dead and the G string was a long scale string. Not a good first impression, but I'm pretty satisfied with the A and D string :P

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »
I put LaBella deep talkin' bass flats on my '65 EB-3 this spring. There was only a couple of sets at the importer's warehouse here in Norway - waited a while to get them and paid close to TI price. Turned out the E was dead and the G string was a long scale string. Not a good first impression, but I'm pretty satisfied with the A and D string :P

I think if you ping Labella they will send replacements.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."