Author Topic: My work here is done...  (Read 5338 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
My work here is done...
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:17:26 AM »
Afternoon from the UK
After about a decade of using Gibson Thunderbirds, my dalliance with the brand is over with my final 'bird is shipping off to Portugal tomorrow.  I've owned around ten in the last decade, but decided about three months ago to - and I hate using this term - thin the herd as I'm essentially migrating over to Mike Lulls.  I'm currently down to a Lull JAXT4, a Hamer FBIV and a very old beaten up Aria ProII Primary Bass.  I have another Lull on order (NRT5, ovesized body), which should drop inside of eight weeks, so the Gibsons have funded that.  Well, some of that.  I really won't miss the tedium (and expense) of swapping out those three-pointers for Babicz replacements.

I do feel a little melancholic, but things move along.  Quality over quantity, I suppose.  I'll keep an eye on what Gibson are doing, but as there's nothing bass-wise on the 2018 catalogue, I doubt that'll be on my agenda for the next 52 weeks at least.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I'll dip in periodically for a catchup to see who's moaning about what.

Love to everyone.
Paul
The future I come from no longer exists.

doombass

• View Profile
Re: My work here is done...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:18:22 AM »
  I'll dip in periodically for a catchup to see who's moaning about what.

Love to everyone.
Paul

Love to you too and please do participate because hey, not owning a Gibson anymore does'nt disqualify anyone to moan about them.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
You might walk back on that decision if the 2018 limited edition Thunderbird comes to fruition. It will probably already have that Babicz bridge on there and it maybe even be sporting those probuckers the Epis are getting, at least that's what I'm hoping for. Those pole pieces look so out of place on a Thunderbird. Hey, either way, more power to you and I hope you enjoy your bolt ons  :P
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »

The best Thunderbirds never had a 3-point.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »
Love to you too and please do participate because hey, not owning a Gibson anymore does'nt disqualify anyone to moan about them.

I feel confident just from what I've seen on the Internet the last few years that there is an inexhaustible supply of non-owner moaners. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »
I feel confident just from what I've seen on the Internet the last few years that there is an inexhaustible supply of non-owner moaners.
I feel the same way. The difference I see here is we moan out of affection.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »
I feel the same way. The difference I see here is we moan out of affection.

Yes, big difference. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:39:20 PM »
Video from the Gibson Brands board room informing them of your decision.  Henry is optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P67NIE5F-ec

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
Plenty more fish in the sea... good luck with the migration... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
I've never owned a Thunderbird but that hasn't stopped me from moaning about what Gibson does or doesn't do.

You're welcome to check in anytime. Not everyone here is a Gibson owner.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:41:12 AM »
You might walk back on that decision if the 2018 limited edition Thunderbird comes to fruition. It will probably already have that Babicz bridge on there and it maybe even be sporting those probuckers the Epis are getting, at least that's what I'm hoping for. Those pole pieces look so out of place on a Thunderbird. Hey, either way, more power to you and I hope you enjoy your bolt ons  :P

There are plenty of Gibsons that aren't neck through as well, a good bolt on neck like a Lull is pretty much like a set neck and I'll take any day.
I love my Gibsons, especially the '76s but they aren't really always my bass of choice anymore.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »
I've had my 2013 EB 5 string for well over a year, and I still love it...with me that's usually a good sign.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
I've limited myself to buying Gibsons, just to try to contain my GAS. But more & more stores are refusing to deal with them as a company. I just stopped at a new local store (new to me) yesterday. They said that you can buy just about any brand there but Gibson & Epiphone. They are just too difficult to work with.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
There are plenty of Gibsons that aren't neck through as well, a good bolt on neck like a Lull is pretty much like a set neck and I'll take any day.
I love my Gibsons, especially the '76s but they aren't really always my bass of choice anymore.

I was just teasing really. Lull basses are great. I still have a couple bolt ons. A 78' P and a Peavey Millennium but my newly reacquired Les Paul $ bass got the gig last night and didn't disappoint.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
The best Thunderbirds never had a 3-point.

Bicentennial!