Author Topic: First gig in a long while  (Read 1829 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
First gig in a long while
« on: September 06, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
This Sunday AM I have my first gig in a long time. My band went dormant nearly 2 years ago, but one of the guitarists called me in late June to see if I could sit in and sub on September 10 for the bass player with another, pretty low-key band he plays in.  Four guys, all retirees, and the band's name is "Life in the Past Lane."

I said yes but didn't get all the details.....

Turns out that it's a three-hour gig to play at the city Senior Center as part of an event they have which is part promo for the center, probably part fundraiser. Starts at 9 AM Sunday, meaning a very early setup.

I got a fairly encyclopedic music list from him in late June, about 40 titles.  That wasn't the set list for the gig, just a list of stuff they play.  The challenge for me is that about half of it is country, which I don't normally listen to, so I didn't have any familiarity with the tunes.  But about six weeks out he made sure that I got access to their Dropbox site with audio of them playing many of the numbers, and a set of chord charts from Chordpro.  VERY helpful, and having the chance to listen to them playing the stuff got me moving.

Still, three hours of music is a lot when you're rusty.  I've had three practices with them, and we have the set list in place.  Much of it will be root-fourth or root-fifth for me, with an occasional walk up or down, but for country that often is pretty close to the original bass line. There's a little CCR and John Fogerty in there, Merle Haggard, George Strait, and some classics like Kansas City, Blue Suede Shoes, Memphis and Pretty Woman.  I feel confident that I can hold up my end, although there won't be much fancy dressing on the salad.

I'll be playing my orange Gretsch 5123 bass, which fits the music and the ambience. So, around noon Sunday I'll probably have sore fingertips and be ready for a very tall craft beer.  I'm glad my Genz-Benz Shuttle and 12" cab are easy to move around.

I took this shot right after I got the Gretsch 5123, and before I removed the foam from under the bridge.  Oops.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: First gig in a long while
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Sounds like an ideal gig to me. Good luck!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Life in the past lane sounds a bit nippier than vintage winds...  :mrgreen: have fun...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »
Life in the past lane sounds a bit nippier than vintage winds...  :mrgreen: have fun...

Quite different.  Vintage Winds had become blues & classic rock, this band is much more country, with a slight bent toward rockabilly. I like the latter a lot.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »
Well, the gig went fine, and they asked if I'd sub again in the future - glad to, they're a nice group of guys.  Even got paid!

It definitely felt like an early morning on Sunday - because on Saturday I went to the Colorado State football game (1:30 - 4:30,) got home and scrubbed off sunblock, then at 8:30 PM the Washington State-Boise State game started on ESPN. 

That game went to TRIPLE overtime (Cougs pulled out a most unlikely win) but as a result I didn't sack out until about 1:00 AM.  Up at 6 to have a bite, load up and started setting up at 7:30 AM for the 9:00 AM gig.

But it all went well. I got a decent night's sleep last night and am not quite full speed today. Hopping a plane tomorrow for a few days in lovely Couer d'Alene Idaho while my wife is at a conference there, then down to Pullman to visit friends and go to the WSU-Oregon State football game on the 16th.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
Mine still has the foam!  :mrgreen:

I like its sound and the way it plays, but in a rock band setting it has issues cutting through, it's not exactly an EB-650 which takes no prisoners sonically. The Gretsch is just too well-behaved. In a country rock setting it should work great though.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
Mine still has the foam!  :mrgreen:

I like its sound and the way it plays, but in a rock band setting it has issues cutting through, it's not exactly an EB-650 which takes no prisoners sonically. The Gretsch is just too well-behaved. In a country rock setting it should work great though.

I do think removing the foam might make just a BIT of difference in sound transmission, through the bridge.

Geez, considering the lengthy debates about the sound of body wood, you'd think someone would take the foam out from under the bridge to get the improvement in sound resulting..... :P

Incidentally, the guys have asked me about subbing on a gig next June (they book far ahead) but I think I'll be in Deutschland on a Viking river cruise about then!  It figures.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
"I think I'll be in Deutschland on a Viking river cruise about then! It figures."

Jawohl, kein Zufall. Sonne, Sand, Germanentum!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:08:54 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »
Where are the towels...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
 :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: