Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

First gig in a long while

(1/2) > >>

Pilgrim:
This Sunday AM I have my first gig in a long time. My band went dormant nearly 2 years ago, but one of the guitarists called me in late June to see if I could sit in and sub on September 10 for the bass player with another, pretty low-key band he plays in.  Four guys, all retirees, and the band's name is "Life in the Past Lane."

I said yes but didn't get all the details.....

Turns out that it's a three-hour gig to play at the city Senior Center as part of an event they have which is part promo for the center, probably part fundraiser. Starts at 9 AM Sunday, meaning a very early setup.

I got a fairly encyclopedic music list from him in late June, about 40 titles.  That wasn't the set list for the gig, just a list of stuff they play.  The challenge for me is that about half of it is country, which I don't normally listen to, so I didn't have any familiarity with the tunes.  But about six weeks out he made sure that I got access to their Dropbox site with audio of them playing many of the numbers, and a set of chord charts from Chordpro.  VERY helpful, and having the chance to listen to them playing the stuff got me moving.

Still, three hours of music is a lot when you're rusty.  I've had three practices with them, and we have the set list in place.  Much of it will be root-fourth or root-fifth for me, with an occasional walk up or down, but for country that often is pretty close to the original bass line. There's a little CCR and John Fogerty in there, Merle Haggard, George Strait, and some classics like Kansas City, Blue Suede Shoes, Memphis and Pretty Woman.  I feel confident that I can hold up my end, although there won't be much fancy dressing on the salad.

I'll be playing my orange Gretsch 5123 bass, which fits the music and the ambience. So, around noon Sunday I'll probably have sore fingertips and be ready for a very tall craft beer.  I'm glad my Genz-Benz Shuttle and 12" cab are easy to move around.

I took this shot right after I got the Gretsch 5123, and before I removed the foam from under the bridge.  Oops.

Dave W:
Sounds like an ideal gig to me. Good luck!

Highlander:
Life in the past lane sounds a bit nippier than vintage winds...  :mrgreen: have fun...

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: Highlander on September 07, 2017, 01:57:17 PM ---Life in the past lane sounds a bit nippier than vintage winds...  :mrgreen: have fun...

--- End quote ---

Quite different.  Vintage Winds had become blues & classic rock, this band is much more country, with a slight bent toward rockabilly. I like the latter a lot.

Pilgrim:
Well, the gig went fine, and they asked if I'd sub again in the future - glad to, they're a nice group of guys.  Even got paid!

It definitely felt like an early morning on Sunday - because on Saturday I went to the Colorado State football game (1:30 - 4:30,) got home and scrubbed off sunblock, then at 8:30 PM the Washington State-Boise State game started on ESPN. 

That game went to TRIPLE overtime (Cougs pulled out a most unlikely win) but as a result I didn't sack out until about 1:00 AM.  Up at 6 to have a bite, load up and started setting up at 7:30 AM for the 9:00 AM gig.

But it all went well. I got a decent night's sleep last night and am not quite full speed today. Hopping a plane tomorrow for a few days in lovely Couer d'Alene Idaho while my wife is at a conference there, then down to Pullman to visit friends and go to the WSU-Oregon State football game on the 16th.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version