Author Topic: The 70's are back  (Read 900 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
The 70's are back
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:58:06 PM »
I was in GC today and spotted this red Epi on the wall:

And although the action was extremely high (about 1/2" at the top fret, begging for a shim) I recognized the tailpiece and bridge in a flash.  They are an EXACT match to the ones on my 1970's Univox hollowbody.

Actually the tail piece is the deluxe model with rosewood insert. I had one of these but sold it to a list-member here (I'd buy it back along with the bridge if he still has it..)

Here's the bridge, complete with the same flip-lever mute from the 70's:

This is pure Matsumoku stuff, just like Epi used in the early 70's. Interesting to see it show up again.  The pickups are black pastic instead of chrome, but they're also a staple-design very much like the pickups on my Univox.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

daan

• View Profile
Re: The 70's are back
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
That's 'cause Matsumoku made, like, 54326257624562 versions of these. I have a guitar like this, and the body is "caving in"- the neck joint has a tiny little block in it, and the body is completely hollow. I keep seeing these at stores, for unreal prices-$4,5,600. And almost all of them have the 3/4" action, or are missing parts. So maybe I should go sell my guitar, if it's really worth that much...
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: The 70's are back
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:47:29 PM »
Yup, they did male a ton of these.  But I thought that bridge and tailpiece design had fallen into the dust of history long ago. Kinda nice to see them back, as I considered them a very good design.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."