Author Topic: Oops... I did it again. 2016 ES Les Paul Bass  (Read 12302 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Oops... I did it again. 2016 ES Les Paul Bass
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
Since we're on the subject, how does a Hobbit body compare to a normal LP?

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:23 AM »
The first version of the Hobbit is the largest. It might be similar to the Les Paul Standard Oversized Bass. They shrunk it down a bit for the Les Paul Triumph Bass, but still larger than a normal Les Paul body.

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »
The modern day oversize LPs are even a bit larger than the first Hobbits. IMHO, the "Les Paul flair" doesn't exactly benefit from a larger (body) scale. Les Pauls belong in your crotch, nuff said, don't make them look like Rippers.  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
I finally plugged in mine today. I really like having two tone controls. Can't wait to hear it in my gig rig, but with festival season over we have nothing lined up until next summer.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »
Mojohobo- I've always wondered about that - never had a bass w/ 2 tone controls. How do you like to use them?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »
The modern day oversize LPs are even a bit larger than the first Hobbits. IMHO, the "Les Paul flair" doesn't exactly benefit from a larger (body) scale. Les Pauls belong in your crotch, nuff said, don't make them look like Rippers.  ;D

They for sure look different in the cutaway. The old bodies look like they added X-amount of material around the entire body, making the cutaway (horn) look a lot thicker proportionally. The Oversized Bass was more likely done with CAD software & looks more normal, at least in the horn area. I once heard a saying; "Men are like Rhinoceros's, it's all about the horn!"   That might be true here.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
Mojohobo- I've always wondered about that - never had a bass w/ 2 tone controls. How do you like to use them?

Cut the highs on the bridge pickup and cut the volume slightly on the neck pickup.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
The first version of the Hobbit is the largest. It might be similar to the Les Paul Standard Oversized Bass. They shrunk it down a bit for the Les Paul Triumph Bass, but still larger than a normal Les Paul body.

It looks like the difference is huge, but then I see that the 'scale' is shorter on the triumph :)

Don't know if it's my computer or the pics but the difference between nut and bridge is notable between the old les paul and the triumph.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 07:45:59 AM »
It looks like the difference is huge, but then I see that the 'scale' is shorter on the triumph :)

Don't know if it's my computer or the pics but the difference between nut and bridge is notable between the old les paul and the triumph.

The scale should be identical. My photos were taken at different times, with the tripod just randomly positioned.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »

I really like having a V-T for each pickup. Besides my LP I have several stack knob J basses, one of which my tech wired as a stack knob with a master volume that pulls up for series.

I like to use the neck pickup V-T dimed, bridge rolled off slightly with tone at around 50%, depending on strings.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
Merry Christmas! Now CME is letting these go for $1100.75 taking 15% off $1295 at checkout. It is a remarkable price for a remarkable bass.

https://reverb.com/item/6734525-gibson-memphis-es-les-paul-bass-faded-dark-floor-model

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
You can't beat that deal if you're looking for one. Local store still has a goldtop on the wall at $3K and that's $400-600 off the original street price. I wonder if there are any left in Memphis, this is at least the second shipment that CME has received.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »
If I would have waited, I could have had two for the price of one............

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
It could have gone the other way instead. Often when shopping with my wife she will like something but not buy it saying "I'll wait until it goes on sale", but when we go back it's already been sold.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
I'm so glad it's short scale- keeps me from buying one LOL. :mrgreen: