Author Topic: Oops... I did it again. 2016 ES Les Paul Bass  (Read 12301 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Oops... I did it again. 2016 ES Les Paul Bass
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
The leg spends most of the year there. It goes upstairs from Black Friday till shortly after New Years Day. By Feb 1st, I start hearing threats that it could meet the same demise as the one in the movie.

No appreciation of artistiwockle objects, as Pogo would say.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
I'll add a comparison pic of it next to the Les Paul Oversized Bass.............

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Dr. Evil and Mini Me?  ;)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »
Just noticed another one that is much cheaper. If they offer 15% off like they did on mine, it would be $1,041. Great bass & even better at that price...........

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/gibson-memphis-es-les-paul-bass-faded-dark-floor-model

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »
They did have a make-an-offer-button after you posted but now it's sold.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
That was quick! They also post these on Reverb, that's where they run the 15% off specials. I always thought you could offer them 15% less on the "Make an Offer" button & it would be within their profit margin. I bought mine over the phone, they honored the 15% offered on Reverb.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
It was me. I made an offer, they emailed a counter which I accepted.

Actually, it wasn't me. They called me back and said someone on reverb.com paid before me, but he said they had more coming.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:35:08 PM by the mojo hobo »

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »
Not that I needed another bass having recently received the Jack Casady 20th Anniversary bass. I need to start selling some I'm running out of space.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
It's a great bass, I paid just over $2,000.00 for mine & thought I got a great deal. MF & most other places sell it for at or above $3,000.00. I don't see how they can sell it for around $1,200.00, it looks to be the same bass. The only thing I don't see listed in the spec is the Adirondack Spruce Bracing. I would have taken one with normal bracing for an $800.00 discount!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
Here's why the one at CME is such a good deal: it has to do with the "floor model" designation. Gibson overproduces, CME goes to Nashville with checkbook ready and buys a shitload of guitars at much lower than the usual wholesale. The catch is that they can't sell them as new, and there's no factory warranty (CME warrants them for one year).

I found this out when a friend asked me what I thought of a particular 2016 LP variant they had listed as a floor model. Gibson's site had the street price at about twice CME's price, so I called to ask how damaged it was to be priced so low. Turns out that they had never actually had this model on their floor, they had six in stock at the time, all new in box, all bought at a deep discount from Gibson. The salesman said about 90% of what they list as floor models are actually new.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 04:29:48 AM »
A new one sold for $2,867.00. Mine was listed at $2,395.00, I bought it at $2,035.00. They apparently sold a couple at $1,225.00 or less. That's quite a difference in price. All of the floor models have a "Make an Offer" option, the new ones do not. Mine had a small mark on it, described by them as the size of a small fingernail. It took me a long time to even find it. I've bought 2 near new guitars from CME since the new owners took over, (my Firebird & this one), They've been great to work with. They have sold a pile of these since I've been watching, the other venders still seem to have most of their stock that they listed a month ago. They are 2015 & 2016 models, the 2018's are being rolled out. The list price for the bass is $4,704.00. The price has been dropped recently to $2,999.00 by most venders. They are slow sellers. Like Uwe said, I think it's one of the highest quality short scale basses I've ever played or owned. I was thrilled to get one at just over $2,000.00. I might of had to change my shorts if I had gotten one for just over a grand.................

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »
My guess is that they got a few more at an even lower price from Gibson after you bought yours.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 06:23:46 AM »
Looks like they did get another reduced one in............... Great price & "Make an offer" option!

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/gibson-memphis-es-les-paul-bass-faded-dark-floor-model

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »
They got at least two. I paid for mine yesterday.