Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Seller: first Ric bass ever made

(1/3) > >>

Granny Gremlin:
https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/for-sale-1973-rickenbacker-4000-bass-new-price-more-pix.155945/

In case y'all can't see that:

"VERY good condition and ALL original. The 4000 series basses are rare birds indeed.
neck through construction, cresting wave headstock, cresting wave body, finished Padouk fingerboard, 33-1/2" scale, 20 frets, Grover sealed back machine heads, combination tailpiece/bridge assembly with string mutes.

This bass is the first bass model that Rickenbacker produced. "

CA$3300 shipped (within Canada).  Dude's local to me (also has a beauty 66 Gibson EB2 that I can't afford and is a bit on the pricey side).

I'm skeptical, but hardly an expert.

Paul Boyer:
Well, as the seller states, it is "the first bass model that Rickenbacker made," - but this is hardly the first bass made. Rickenbacker started making basses in the late 1950s, and by 1973 (when this particular bass was made), there were thousands of Rick basses out there. Even this vintage of 4000 wasn't much like the first ones made. Other than being in great shape for a survivor, this particular bass isn't worth the kind of money they are asking. In my opinion, it's worth between $1,000 and $1,500 (US).

Granny Gremlin:
That's kinda what I was thinking; couldn't be worth more than a 70s 4001, which has an additional pickup but is otherwise the same.  Nice specimen though, this guy really takes good care of his girls.

Jeff Scott:

--- Quote from: Granny Gremlin on August 30, 2017, 10:23:53 AM ---That's kinda what I was thinking; couldn't be worth more than a 70s 4001, which has an additional pickup but is otherwise the same.  Nice specimen though, this guy really takes good care of his girls.

--- End quote ---
4001 basses were all neck through.  Starting sometime in the early '70s or thereabouts, 4001S models were set neck as is this particular 4000.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Jeff Scott on August 30, 2017, 09:21:43 PM ---4001 basses were all neck through.  Starting sometime in the early '70s or thereabouts, 4001S models were set neck as is this particular 4000.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. Not that I have a problem with it being set neck, it's that the seller doesn't know what he has. Also, a 70s 4000 is certainly not rare.

Reverb.com's price guide for a 1970s 4000 in a common finish is $1800-$2300.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version