Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Random Project

<< < (2/4) > >>

Granny Gremlin:
yeowzers.  I dunno.  Dude hasn't got back to me and since it's free I'm not gonna be a pest about it.  Not as if I have a shortage of projects at the moment.

Granny Gremlin:
So the dude just showed yup at my door and handed me this thing yesterday. 

Now y'all know  I am not a fan of maple fretboards, long scale and P/J pups, but this thing is neck thru, dual truss rods, mahogany body with a bit of a weird diagonal strip parquet figured top thing going on (looks better in person; it surprised me when I saw it cuz it looked bland in the phone pic dude sent me; rather nice) that is surprisingly thick too; not a thin veneer.  The best part is that it’s already stripped so I can go to town with a refin without the bitch work. So I am actually rather enthused.

So many ideas about how to go with this.  Undecided re pups (would love something like a thunderbird pickup -  but we’ll see what I can get… I’d consider a mudbucker but would then want a second pickup and I’m feeling this as a single), but I am definitely filling that J route (no like Js and no like bridge position on a bass).  Since there’s 3 pot holes thinking of doing vol, treble cut (standard tone control) and bass cut (inductor based - hoping to score a vintage Gibson choke coil for that). Also considering altering the shape a bit - definately will contour the neck joint area a bit more, but also maybe modify the horn shape to be less pointer Strat/P and more Ric cresting wave or LP Jr DC ish.

Also it came with a case (branded ‘baldwin’ like the pianos).  Haggard (no handle and that one corner pictured is messed up) but for the price I am doing well.

It’s a Freebird.

Granny Gremlin:
So anyway I need hardware; whatchall got in yer parts bins? Kinda kicking myself for selling off a bridge I had sitting around, but maybe that's a good thing and I'll get something better, ideally post-mounted.

Dave W:
Baldwin did own Burns and Gretsch at one time, although this bass doesn't look like any model I can recall.

Only relevant part I have is a Bartolini 8S P pickup but it sounds like you won't be going in that direction.

Highlander:
You don't do fretless but that's the way I'd go... just love my RD and the ringing tones I get from that fully maple beastie and the single neck pup...

As you said...

:popcorn:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version