Author Topic: The mudbucker's last hurrah  (Read 4219 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The mudbucker's last hurrah
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
A 70ies model doesn't do that any less! It's just more "Mel Schacher in Terry Knight production era"-sound than Jack Bruce or Felix Pappalardi.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »
But I LIKE shaking the walls and loosening fillings!

Like that's why we took up the instrument in the first place, right
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
Congrats, I prefer the 70ies EB-0s and -3s to the early and late 60ies ones. Yes, the mudbucker sound makes more sense with those.

Gibson faded out the two point evertilt in 1973 when it became clear that there were delivery issues with the long anticipated separate string holder which - as Dave never fails to point our - would have made an already very good bridge concept near-perfect. Alas!, the best-laid plans, but then those missing stringholders, must have been down to the metal shortage due to the Vietnam war effort, so essentially the Vietcong is to blame for that too.

By late 73 and further onward, the stringholder delivery issues had forced Gibson to settle with the three point bridge which was, of course, nowhere near as good and a major step backward.

The 3 pointer was an added incentive but I would have been tempted even if it had a two point. The last I heard about my project to replace the bridge on my EB-1 is that plans have been drawn up and production will be forthcoming. The idea is to have it be very close in appearance to the original design but with a heavier base plate, metal saddles and added tilt prevention. I'll let you guys know when I get more info.

A 70ies model doesn't do that any less! It's just more "Mel Schacher in Terry Knight production era"-sound than Jack Bruce or Felix Pappalardi.
Allen Woody was a big inspiration as well. I did have E pluribus funk playing in my car on the drive over to the store.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
I'm currently in full Grand Funk mode, I bought the two new boxed sets "Trunk of Funk Vol. 1 and 2" and that has all their outpost save for the Zappa-produced Good Singin', Good Playin' and the 8Oies stuff with Dennis Bellinger. (Plus of course not the Flint album the others did without Farner.)

The way Schacher's "bone-rattling bass" (Homer Simpson) was mixed loudly on those first six Terry Knight productions, I'm sure Mel either bribed or had sex with him on a regular basis.  :mrgreen: Schacher was really the hidden virtuoso in that original three-piece. His bass playing defines "organic".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:15:36 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
But I LIKE shaking the walls and loosening fillings!

I like loosening bowels & blowing out light bulbs.................
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »
Bong-rattling bass. I can't wait for Fender to release the Mel Schacher signature Jazz bass. They'll need to have it to compete with the Cliff Burton signature Rickenbacker. These things aren't too unreasonable to hope for right?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
  Well that's the point isn't it?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
lol... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 05:53:11 AM »
Agreed that Mel made Grand Funk...big sound, lots of slides and slurs...

An original and very cool, very rock bass sound...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 10:34:42 AM »
Looking at the wiring on my bass, I noticed there was only one cap instead of two as I expected to see based on the last available schematic from flyguitars.
http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB0_circuit.php
I thought perhaps someone had changed the pots and wiring at some point until I noticed other listings had a similar schematic as mine.
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--jAgL87Cl--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1488104327/q0tpuwlm0xeme6inei3c.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--p0f3Xn2---/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1497546050/vcwvc8claeylfnacy8jm.jpg
So it seems the schematic of the EB-0 had changed to have a single capacitor around the same time the three point bridge began being used.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:59:56 AM by 4stringer77 »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
The .01uf cap in parallel with the pickup was discontinued.