Author Topic: The mudbucker's last hurrah  (Read 4243 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
The mudbucker's last hurrah
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:55:22 AM »
I'm going to head over to the shop selling this 1975 EB-0 today. I've always wanted to check out an EB-0 with a mid positioned pickup and a maple neck. I like that this one has a three point instead of a tilt-o-matic two point. I noticed the pick up's pole pieces don't line up the best with the strings in the pictures. I'll know for certain later today but I'm wondering if the crowd here thinks that's an issue.

https://reverb.com/item/454383-1975-gibson-eb0-cherry
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: The mudbucker's last hurrah
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
Nice. Those later ones have much better tuners; the 60s ones are a bit of a pain.

The thing with the poles shouldn't matter much; that's one strong magnetic field.  Bring a scrwdriver with you, cause I find you really need to crank up E and D and lower A and G (the screws are super long) to get a good string to string balance; adjusting the poles can also compensate a bit for the misalignment.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:01:57 AM »
There's no straight-on photo, so don't assume there's any misalignment until you see it.

IMHO $1249 would be overpriced for a new listing on a '75, this one has been listed for over 2 years.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
I had a 76 EB-3 with that pickup position - it still bucked mud with the best of them.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Geez. I sold my '69 for wayyyy less than that.
Granted it was modified with an added EB3 bridge pup, but I can't see paying $300 more for a '75.
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=10007.msg169678#msg169678
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
The alignment of the poles wasn't a problem. The bass sounded great so I acquired it. I threw in my Epiphone Jack Casaday to bring the price down some. With the exchange I still have seven basses which is plenty. A few hundred here or there doesn't bother me much when I want something and it's convenient enough to get without having to deal with shipping.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
So convenient to do it that way.  Congratulations on the purchase. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
That price isn't (wasn't - congrats) that high.  I mean, we remember when they were cheaper (even me) , but you can't expect to get a clean EBX for <1K anymore (I mean, it happens, but you can't expect it).  Prices also vary considerably by location - even within the US.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
Congrats on the new bass.

The final price was obviously right for you, whatever it was.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
Yeah, can't argue with that!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
   Congratulations!  These are great basses though often maligned. A few years ago I bought a '73-'75 EB3 and it's a beast!  One of my favorite EB3s ever!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:14 AM »
I can think of one place in particular where they're often maligned, too.  That can get old and tedious after a while. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:44 AM »
It may be the best EB-0 out of the whole production. It has much better tonal balance compared to my EB-1 or my 67' EB-3 with the neck pickup soloed. I could actually imagine showing up to a jam and being able to play it without people looking at me sideways like I'm trying to remove their fillings or shake their pictures of the walls.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »
Congrats, I prefer the 70ies EB-0s and -3s to the early and late 60ies ones. Yes, the mudbucker sound makes more sense with those.

Gibson faded out the two point evertilt in 1973 when it became clear that there were delivery issues with the long anticipated separate string holder which - as Dave never fails to point our - would have made an already very good bridge concept near-perfect. Alas!, the best-laid plans, but then those missing stringholders, must have been down to the metal shortage due to the Vietnam war effort, so essentially the Vietcong is to blame for that too.

By late 73 and further onward, the stringholder delivery issues had forced Gibson to settle with the three point bridge which was, of course, nowhere near as good and a major step backward.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 08:06:07 AM »
But I LIKE shaking the walls and loosening fillings!