Author Topic: Please play "Guess That Bass for me  (Read 3030 times)

daan

• View Profile
Please play "Guess That Bass for me
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
So my hours at work changed again, so I had 40 min. of free time before work today. Just enough time to check out a guitar store near work that I hadn't been to before (Capitol Guitar in St Paul)
They had some interesting stuff, including this "no name" semi hollow bass:
That's what the tag said, "No name"... Anyway it looks fairly recent, the pups look like the "mini humbucker" style like my Gretsch had (and there's plastic still on them) It's kinda heavy, so I'm guessing it's got a center block or something. The tailpiece is real close to the bridge, so I'm wondering if that isn't stock. I should go back next week and see what I can trade my Hondo jazz for it...
Thanks, in advance, guys!
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

daan

• View Profile
Re: Please play "Guess That Bass for me
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
Ok so what are y'all doing for photo hosting now? P-bucket isn't working, and literally all the other sites I've tried to use are blocked here at work  :P
I tried to upload the pics right off my phone, but apparently they're too big, and I'm too old to figure out how to resize them on the phone (ugh). I will keep messing with it and see if I can post them.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
I'm using imgur.com. Is that blocked at your workplace?

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
Yes. And my internet at home is so crappy (barely faster than dial-up) that my computer times out before I can upload anything.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
Let's see if this worked:

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:33:04 PM »
Wow this is obnoxious... I'm almost ready to just pay the stupid Photobucket so I can attatch pics again.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »
I promise I'm never gonna make fun of my parents for not being able to program their VCR again! I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could have posted these in about 30 seconds, and not the 90 minutes I've been working on this... :rolleyes:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:50:58 AM »
I have no idea what bass or brand that might be.
But that upper horn sure doesn't look good. All wobbly curve without nice tension.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 07:11:32 AM »
No idea what brand. Agree with Rob, that irregular upper horn isn't good, whether it's from poor construction or a repair.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »
The pickups remind me of the Ibanez Artcore series.

If it sounds good and plays well, to me the brand isn't that relevant...as long as the price is reasonable.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »
I guessed it might be a fake Cassidy bass, so while putzing around the net I found THIS
https://airline-guitars.netfirms.com/savannah_std.html
Maybe whatever factory in China made the guitars, they ran off a bunch of "no name" copies to sell themselves. Or something...
The next time I work "in town" I'll go check it out again. My Hondo isn't playable again, and I'm real tired of working on it, so I'll see what they say about trading them. I figure, I'll be able to find another J bass copy if I get the urge, but EB-2 style basses are kinda thin on the ground by me.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »

But that upper horn sure doesn't look good. All wobbly curve without nice tension.

Yeah, it does kind of look like it got stung by something, and swelled up, doesn't it?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Revelation market a broadly similar bass here in the UK:

To wit, a generic Chinese hollow/semi-hollow bass. The blank headstock might simply mean that it was a sample or prototype for an importer, who would then have their logo installed on the headstock. Beyond that there is some random hollow Chinese stuff on Ebay sometimes.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
It doesn't look like anything recent to me. More like an older MIJ or MIK bass.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
The plastic is on the minibuckers, which suggests it is new (or a case queen). The oversized plastic surrounds on the minibuckers are the same as seen elsewhere on new basses, such as those Les Paul shaped Gretsch basses.