Author Topic: Roger Glover's Bass  (Read 2011 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
Roger Glover's Bass
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
And Uwe doesnt own it (yet)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEEP-PURPLE-RoGeR-GLoVeR-PReViouSLY-oWNeD-USeD-1977-BC-RiCH-BaSS-TouR-CaSe-/132357392016?hash=item1ed11d8690:g:S0AAAOSwDZtZ2shn

I cant say I've ever seen a picture of him with a Mockingbird, Any photo's of him actually playing it?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Glover's Bass
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »
"Selling untested - Selling as a collectible"

That's a red flag. Sure it's a collectable, but at that price, I'd at least expect it to be playable.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:29:29 AM »
It was listed and ended early due to an error in the listing over 3 years ago by the same seller. Price drop since then is 2500$. Also, not showing in the new auction is the unsigned certificate of authenticity.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/ROGER-GLOVER-owned-BC-RICH-1977-BASS-GUITAR-Rainbow-DEEP-PURPLE-provanance-COA-/131229967067

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:47 AM »
Haha, unsigned.
I can make a certificate like that if you want.  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »
I think it's likely legit, Glover has mentioned a Mocking Bird in interviews before as one piece of gear he once had (he is not a collector). The explanation why there  are no pics of him playing it is simple: He didn't tour between '73 (post-Purple-MK II-split  and '79 (rejoining Ritchie in Rainbow), sticking to solo albums and production of others as well as A&R work for Purple Records.(I believe there was only one gig for him during all that time: Butterfly Ball in London - and he played acoustic guitar and keyboards during that, leaving the bass playing to John Gustafson or Mo Foster.)

So it must have been a studio bass only. This bass is supposedly from '77 (Roger once said '76), that was smack-dab during his "long lost weekend" 6-year period when he had given up regular gigging (after having toured himself to ill health with Purple from 69-73). As a shape, the Mocking Bird sure looks like something that might have interested him (he doesn't shy away from outlandish basses) if you look at the basses he played with Rainbow immediately (79 onwards) after: TBird and (after that broke at the headstock) Ovation Magnum II, both of them in a natural finish btw which seemed to appeal to him at the time (besides being the fashion then).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:36:30 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...