Author Topic: Gibson’s First-Ever Global Brand Ambassador  (Read 8455 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson’s First-Ever Global Brand Ambassador
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
The big reason all Brit bands started with Framus, Egmond/Rosetti, et cetera, was that it was prohibited to import luxury goods from the US into the UK. This had to do with the war and economics.

See my comment above. I've never seen any evidence that there ever was such a ban. It's another one of those myths that you only see on guitar-related sites.

Egmond and Framus were not of equal quality as Gibson and Gretsch, and sold for a lot less.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »
I can't remember ever at any point being excited about Slash.  I don't know who I would have chosen to represent Gibson, but it definitely wouldn't have been Slash.  Nothing against him personally--just never been a fan.

Fair enough; they coulda gone with Jimmy Page or Steve Jones, but they probably wanted it to be a yank (I'm sure there's a few other candidates but can't think of them just now).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
Fair enough; they coulda gone with Jimmy Page or Steve Jones, but they probably wanted it to be a yank (I'm sure there's a few other candidates but can't think of them just now).

I guess it isn't Slash so much as it's Guns 'n Roses.  Axl Rose is what I think of.  I realize he is probably far better than I give him credit for, but I find him hard to listen to.  If the lead singer isn't someone I like, it's hard for me to listen to any band.  Needless to say, I was never able to listen to Guns 'n Roses much (because of Axl Rose mostly.)  The point is if Slash had been in another band my impression of him would probably be different. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal