Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Interesting bass comparison

(1/5) > >>

Granny Gremlin:

Not perfect, but interesting nonetheless and probably pretty helpful to the kids.  Personally I think it would be improved by at least stating what settings (pup if there's a choice; where da tone knob at) were used, and I'm not sure it was fair to use a 70s P but a 2010 Tbird, but that might be hard to improve upon for most mortals.

Fingerstyle, it was hands down Ric or Tbird, with honorable mentions to the Stingray and surprisingly, the thumb.   I don't remember Ps sounding that bad (relative to my personal tastes of course); musta had the tone wide open.

With a pick the Thumb just sucked; again Ric or Tbird for the win, though the P was back in the game.

(I skipped they whole slap section)

Didn't make me reconsider my dislike of J tone at all.

Rob:
Thanks Jake that was an interesting comparison.

Pilgrim:
I can't tell any appreciable difference between them with fingers. The P and J sounded just about identical to each other.

I skipped the slap portion as I knew I'd find it obnoxious, and found the pick portion too bright and clangy.  I think they all need a set of six-month-old flats.

slinkp:
I love things like this. That's why my fave manufacturer site is Lakland.  On many of their models they have clips of 10 different styles/techniques, all with both rounds and flats. For 2-pickup basses they have all those combinations on neck alone, both, and bridge alone.  That's 60 clips for a 2-pickup bass. An amazing time investment reallly.
I only wish they had continued to update it for the newer models.

And it sounds like the same player(s) for each composition.  So if you want to hear "pick punk" (sounds more like the theme to a comedy central talk show, but that's beside the point) on 10 different neck pickups, you can. (Chi-sonic: I like!)

https://www.lakland.com/audio.htm

westen44:
I was trying to be as objective as I could.  The T-Bird sounded the best, followed by the StingRay.  After that, the rest were roughly equal. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version