Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Took a lession...

(1/2) > >>

amptech:
..with Neil Murray yesterday! Just been on a business trip visiting my parent valve company, and since chance made me cross paths with Neil a couple of weeks ago, I asked if he gave lessons and he did. I'm more familiar with his early works (National Health, Colosseum 2 etc.) than what he did with Whitesnake and Brian May, but that man certainly have made a footprint in the bass world.
I have just started practicing more seriously again, so this was a tremendous boost.. just to sit down with  someone who has been a part of the canterbury scene was for me exciting, really a highpoint in my UK trip. I must add that he is a skilled 'tinkerer' too, most of his instruments seemed to have had many different pickup configurations. We discussed pickups to quite some extent, especially mudbuckers and eb3 bridge pickups (I got to play his '68 eb3). He even had a kahler vibrato loaded aria, lots of really fun instruments. A good bass day :)

Chris P.:
Great! I spent a week with him last year and I love the guy!!!

Basvarken:
Very nice! He bought my book a while ago. And we chatted about the Gibson basses of his past.
He seemed like a very likeable guy to me.

uwe:
Murray is one of the great unsung British bass heroes, his rhythmic nuances during the Whitesnake era stood head and shoulders above what other people in a hard rock scenario did and put him firmly in Gary Thain/Boz Burrell/Andy Fraser territory. Compared to him, all other Whitesnake bassists that followed him (Hodkinson, Sarzo, Mendoza etc) have sounded clumsy and uninventive plus lacked his natural intuition.

4stringer77:
Cool, glad you had fun and hopefully learned some things too. What kind of tinkering did he do to his 68' EB-3 if any?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version