Author Topic: Gibson’s First-Ever Global Brand Ambassador  (Read 8460 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Gibson’s First-Ever Global Brand Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
I can't remember ever at any point being excited about Slash.  I don't know who I would have chosen to represent Gibson, but it definitely wouldn't have been Slash.  Nothing against him personally--just never been a fan. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Unless you are in Henry J-bashing mode, Slash is a good choice. He is a face/top hat that people know who haven't owned a GnR album in their life. Like ZZ Top or the Ramones, he is a "near-cartoon-character" icon for what "rock" is perceived to be by people who don't know much about it. Slash himself is as much a lifestyle brand as he is a rock guitarist who favors Les Pauls. So his choice as global ambassador for a company like Gibson that by Henry J's own announcement wants to become a lifestyle brand like Harley-Davidson or Nike makes perfect sense.

Now you might not agree with that lifestyle concept of Henry J, but that is another question. It's a logical implementation of what he wants. It's no less a weird choice than a perfume or make-up manufacturer picking an actress to advertise its products. Or Nike choosing an athlete.

As for Slash, he appreciates

https://www.facebook.com/Slash/posts/10151598468122439

an also top-hat-wearing individual dear to me

so there!  :mrgreen:

I wouldn't write a bad thing about him. I would even go as far as to unequivocally state that his guitar style and choice of solo notes are as flawlessly clean and precise as Jimmy Page's. Always Duff as a bass player, but never a duff note.  :rimshot:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:21:22 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »
Yeah, it's a good choice. He is almost exclusively associated with Gibson guitars. He crosses over both musically and culturally, and appeals to different segments of the guitar buying public. Then there's the fact that his parents were tied into the music business in the areas of clothing design and artwork at a fairly high level, so he's probably got some pretty interesting numbers in his phone book too.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
It's just that for me Guns 'n Roses never cut it for me.  I could never get into their music at all.  It's comparable to U2.  Try as I may, I could never understand what the appeal was for either band.  I have never wished either band ill, though.  They probably deserve the success they have; I just don't know why. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »
Musically better bands have come from America (I'd say GnR are on par with Oasis as regards their musical worth), but with GnR it is the whole late 80ies era defining package. They were the last hair metal band

- though they are more rock than metal, I saw them a few weeks ago at a three hour (!) gig - yes, Axl was on time!, they have quite a range of music on offer even though they hardly ever provide it with Toto'esque precision and aplomb :mrgreen:  -

to make it, yet also had that street credibility in them that was so important to the later grunge deluge. Add a few hits/iconic songs, Axl's love-it-or-hate-it-but-it's-unmistakeable Janis Joplin-screech plus that outlaw mystique that also served the Stones so well for decades. No one gives a damn whether Chad Kroeger is on stage late or early (of course he never is late, clockwork band he fronts) - with Axl we somehow do (or a lot of people do).

GnR were also a canvas of easily identifiable characters for a lot of adolescent fans: With Axl as the enigmatic diva with sartorial splendor/daring and unhinged moods (but he wouldn't do something really irresponsible like kill someone driving drunk), Slash as a cardboard cliché of a rock god guitarist, Duff as the credible punk, Izzy as Mr Cool (strong and silent) and Steven Adler as Mr Unlucky everyone somehow still likes and cares for.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:19:14 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
It's obvious Axl's bad boy image has an appeal to a segment of the female population.  That had to be a big factor in driving GNR.  Even now Lana Del Rey makes it clear she is quite a fan.  Once again, though, whatever it is that their music had I was never quite able to grasp. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
Like his iconic predecessor, Les Paul, I look forward to the Gibson Slash (tm) :-\

Oh yes, and as Uwe noted, I'm one of those folks who do not own a GnR recording and will be forever irritated by the persistent flat notes in the outro solo section of "September" Rain (sic) ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »
I've never liked GnR but I do understand their appeal.

Allowing Slash to develop some products can't be worse than having Henry do it.

Like his iconic predecessor, Les Paul, I look forward to the Gibson Slash (tm) :-\

Did you miss this? It's one of several Slash models over the years.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 01:11:13 AM »
My thoughts:

I still think it's hilarious that the iconic Slash Les Paul is a copy, made by Kris Derrig. So all the Slash signatures are Gibson copies of a Derrig copy.

Having said that, I think I stated this before. In my opinion the best and most influential guitar players are the ones who inspire young people to pick up a guitar. When I was young all guys wanted a Fender because of Kurt Kobain, an LP (Epi) because of Slash, or an Epiphone The Dot (335) because of Noel Gallagher. I don't think those guys are the best players, but they influenced hundreds of thousands of kids toy buy those guitars and start band. So especially Epiphone sold a shitload of LPs and 335s. And a lot of now famous bands started because of them. Young guys I know now want certain guitars because of Foo Fighters, QOTSA, .... So in my opinion those guys are better for guitar world and music world than Vai, Satriani, the lot...
No young kid wants (or can afford) a Yin Yang Fodera because of Wooten, a fretless five (six?)-string Warwick because of Steve Bailey, but they want that P/J/Tbird/... because of [insert name current hip bass player] of [insert name current hip band] plays it.

So yeah. Slash is good:)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 02:12:21 AM »
I don't care.
He's a guitarist.

:popcorn:

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:55:20 AM »
I can't remember exactly where I read or saw this, but it was fairly recent. Les Paul sales were in the tank around the time that GNR hit the scene. Apparently Slash had a lot to do with sparking a new interest that continues to this day. Henry had only owned the company for a few years and likely took note of this. That might be his reasoning?  ??? ??? ??? ???
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »
True, GnR draw women. Except for a Bon Jovi gig, I never saw as many women at a rock concert than at the GnR gig recently. And it poured buckets, you know how women don't like that (their hair and all), it was a true sacrifice for them!  :mrgreen:

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 07:49:43 AM »
I remember hearing that he essentially resurrected les paul sales in the late 80s.  In a sea of pointy neon superstrats he defintely stood out with that guitar.

This was a fun read for anyone that hasn't seen the article before..

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the_legend_of_slashs_appetite_for_destruction_les_paul?page=1

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
I don't care.
He's a guitarist.

:popcorn:

Henry J was a bassist. That didn't help.  :-\