Author Topic: Evertilt replacement bridge  (Read 3534 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Evertilt replacement bridge
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »
A tailpiece would have to work with the arched tops of the EB-1, EB-2 and LP. I doubt they're all the same.

Whatever you decide, I hope you can get enough interest to produce them. There isn't another solution for these basses but there can't be that big a market. I doubt you could make much of a dent in Hipshot's 2-point sales for EB-0/EB-3.

Tonepros makes locking studs in nickel or chrome, metric and SAE.  Their supplied anchors bite.  Not cheap but easier than reinventing the wheel.

Are the inserts and studs on the basses the same dimensions as on the guitars?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 05:10:43 AM »

Modern ones are. Not sure about pre-70s cuz I've never pulled ones that old out of a guitar, but I would assume so (because prats were more the same between g and b back in the day , and from the few pics I've seen).

Tonepros are just stupid expensive though.  The bushings are much better than modern ones (about as good as the early 80s ones, which are the same basic design as modern, but the knurls are still there and triangular vs smaller and further spaced vaults (rounded over).... not sure when the design changed, but the 60s ones have the knrarliest biting knurl and no top flange).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 07:02:58 AM »
A tailpiece would have to work with the arched tops of the EB-1, EB-2 and LP. I doubt they're all the same.

Whatever you decide, I hope you can get enough interest to produce them. There isn't another solution for these basses but there can't be that big a market. I doubt you could make much of a dent in Hipshot's 2-point sales for EB-0/EB-3.

There should be enough of a market to sell at least 25 of these which is all he intends to produce initially. I'm only trying to get a new bridge for my EB-1, if it turns out to be a nice piece of hardware, maybe the word will get out and more will get made. Hard to say but I think a guy who came up with a bridge for the PRS guitar should be able to come up with something nice to replace all those aging shoddy tune-omatics out there.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »
Modern ones are. Not sure about pre-70s cuz I've never pulled ones that old out of a guitar, but I would assume so (because prats were more the same between g and b back in the day , and from the few pics I've seen).

Tonepros are just stupid expensive though.  The bushings are much better than modern ones (about as good as the early 80s ones, which are the same basic design as modern, but the knurls are still there and triangular vs smaller and further spaced vaults (rounded over).... not sure when the design changed, but the 60s ones have the knrarliest biting knurl and no top flange).

They must be the same as on the old ones then too.

There should be enough of a market to sell at least 25 of these which is all he intends to produce initially. I'm only trying to get a new bridge for my EB-1, if it turns out to be a nice piece of hardware, maybe the word will get out and more will get made. Hard to say but I think a guy who came up with a bridge for the PRS guitar should be able to come up with something nice to replace all those aging shoddy tune-omatics out there.

Plenty of them are still in fine shape and aren't shoddy at all. Still, there are problems with some of them and there ought to be enough market for a short run. Your guy has to make a profit, though, and I've seen his prices. That may be the biggest barrier.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
Good news everyone! The tune-o-matic two point bridge replacement is now officially in it's design stage. I expect to have something tangible to share in the next few weeks or so. Besides the one being made for me there should be at least a couple more for sale at this early stage. If interest develops, John Mann will be glad to make a larger production run later on. When it's ready, you'll hear about it on this forum first if I can help it.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
Cool!
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)