Author Topic: Another new Epiphone bass  (Read 1175 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Another new Epiphone bass
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
Beautiful. But expensive.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
Shorty too - I would be more temped if it had a Venetian?cutaway, no piezo/electronics, and bracing that would let me cut out a spot to drop in a LoZ pup (even the smaller geetar version).

Very pretty indeed.  The price seems reasonable (I don't know of any other hollow archtop, guitar or bass,  anywhere near that price with a solid wood top - not even the  D'Angelico EXL-1, which is almost 1.5k.... though their flat top dreadnaught style bass, the Premier Mott, does have a solid top and is only 525 - archtops are more work to build, especially if solid).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
Shorty too - I would be more temped if it had a Venetian?cutaway, no piezo/electronics, and bracing that would let me cut out a spot to drop in a LoZ pup (even the smaller geetar version).

Very pretty indeed.  The price seems reasonable (I don't know of any other hollow archtop, guitar or bass,  anywhere near that price with a solid wood top - not even the  D'Angelico EXL-1, which is almost 1.5k.... though their flat top dreadnaught style bass, the Premier Mott, does have a solid top and is only 525 - archtops are more work to build, especially if solid).

Dang Jake that would be perfect!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:22:39 AM »
Acoustically (not amplified) the short scale won't make it much to write home about.
And the solid top would only matter for the acoustic sound. When amplified you won't hear much difference between a plywood top and a solid wood top.

Still, a pretty bass.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 04:53:19 AM »
Short scale is a handicap acoustically, sure, but it still could be acoustically useful (at least for practice and jamming with an acoustic guitar/songwriting) .  And there's always micing it up (this is annoying live, but in the studio could be cool).

Whether or not solid vs ply makes much difference at all (either acoustically or electrically) is actually an issue of some debate, but there is no doubt that it is generally considered a premium feature than many players value, and which justifies some price differential.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 05:49:31 AM »
The sound of a plywood top is fine when it is brand new. But it will never improve over time. I'd say it'll only deteriorate.
Whereas a solid top will only sound better over time. The resonating of the wood is beneficial to the acoustic characteristics.