Author Topic: felt for Gibson mute  (Read 3420 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
felt for Gibson mute
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
Anyone here know what i can use for the felt for a bass mute? I bought a 66 EB-2 last week and just bought a mute for it with no felt, anyone have any tips on what to do for a mute?
Also does anyone know what type of screws hold it into the body? The holes are pretty small.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:57:11 PM by bobyoung »

chromium

• View Profile
Re: felt for Gibson mute
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »
Not sure exactly on the mounting screws... but I've used old mousepads as foam-donors on a couple of mutes:

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
Thanks, not a bad idea, do you glue them in or just place them?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:55:11 AM by bobyoung »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »
Thanks, not a bas idea, do you glue them in or just place them?

Had to build the foam up using two layers cut from the mousepad, and I think I used Weldwood contact cement (because I already had some around) to glue the layers together and secure it in the baseplate.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »
My Univox bass's flip-up-mute is just a flat strip of rubber.  The original mute foam on my 1963 P (I still have the mute) is about 3/8" thick weatherstripping form.

Many different materials have been used, and seems like most of them worked; depends mainly on how much muting effect you want and how hard they contact the strings.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
I don't like real heavy muting action, just enough to cut some of the highs and cut some of the sustain a little bit. My Ric's have a mute and even though I put new rubber in them and cut them in half they still damp the string way too much for me. That's why I thought the felt might work well especially the way the Gibson mute works, it looks like you can kind of dial in the amount you want. I bought a new Fender P bass that came with the rubber under the bridge cover years ago but I took that thing off so fast that i don't remember what it sounded like with the cover on.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 03:49:06 AM »
I don't like heavy muting action either, like a dead thump. That's why I prefer a softer material like the soft foam a pickup is packed in when you buy it is perfect. I cut a strip 1/2"-3/4" wide, have it only high enough for the string to just nestle in it and push it right up against the bridge saddles.

That's enough the stop unwanted overtones and have minimal affect to the sustain.
Changing the location lets you get how much you want.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
I don't like real heavy muting action, just enough to cut some of the highs and cut some of the sustain a little bit....

You don't need to be concerned about cutting highs with an EB-2.  :mrgreen:

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
That's true, haha! I was talking to another bass player at the jam I went to and told I put Rotos on it to add a little high end, he said "did it work"? I said "no", I then pulled out a pick and said I use this to add a little high end, he said "does it work"? I said "no" so we both laughed, but the thing does sound good. I played the perfect tune for it Friday night: Louie Louie!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
I know Dave. I got caught up in the conversation and moved away from the point.

Having said that, I bought a brand new 94 EB Sterling which at that time had individual string mutes, and it looked like a piece of mouse pad at contact. I immediately took them off.

That being my frame of reference, I offered me preference on "fuller spectrum" basses.

Restoring an original EB-2 is an understandable venture, and fully lauded.

I have perved for an EB-2 for many moons and finally settled for an Epi JC. No regrets, but....

As an aside, my mudbucker luv goes back a long way. I bought this Tele bass brand new in 1970. By 1975, when this picture was taken, I had refinished the bass twice and performed a very popular mod of the day. Part of me is still smitten

P.S. I did own a '76 EB-3 for a few years, so even with the treble pu,  I hear you bobyoung!

Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »
I bought some felt that was made to put under furniture so it can slide and not scratch the floor but it's too stiff so I think I'll try to find some soft foam rubber somewhere and try that. I did mount the mute under the bridge though and the action is still good so whether or not I use it I'm going to leave it there.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
Any pics, Bob? Cherry or sunburst?

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »
It's a lousy picture but hey my wife didn't know I wanted the headstock included in the picture :mrgreen:.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 03:31:12 PM »
As long as it actually has a headstock, that's okay.  ;D

Looks nice!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 07:37:37 AM »
I just remembered that I had a loose mute in the case of my Les Paul Bass. I think all three screws should have been like the small brass one, all flat heads.

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!