Author Topic: felt for Gibson mute  (Read 3411 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: felt for Gibson mute
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
I believe they are 1/2" brass #4 wood scRew. I   check my screw charT FOR SUre. The mouse pad and weather stripping  sound Good . I was going to find a piano repair shop ,they should have felt.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
Yes, it's clear from the recessed mounting holes in the mute that all screws should be flat head wood screws with the appropriate taper under the head.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
I believe they are 1/2" brass #4 wood scRew. I   check my screw charT FOR SUre. The mouse pad and weather stripping  sound Good . I was going to find a piano repair shop ,they should have felt.
Great idea!  They will have felt for hammers.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »

They're smaller than #4's, they're actually really small on mine I used two pickguard screws and they fit perfectly, did I miss one?

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
One more question: do the two acorn nuts (or whatever you call them) on top of the mute come off? I want to know before I completely screw mine up, would make it a lot easier to experiment with material for a mute.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
One more question: do the two acorn nuts (or whatever you call them) on top of the mute come off? I want to know before I completely screw mine up, would make it a lot easier to experiment with material for a mute.

The acorn nut does come off. I believe it also unscrews at the base. The acorn nut might be jammed against the stud causing it to unscrew from the base...........
On several of mine, the two little screws that go in from the back side had come loose. They hold the nylon slide tight. You have to get behind the paper sticker to tighten them up. A good thing to do if you need to before it is installed.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
The acorn nut does come off. I believe it also unscrews at the base. The acorn nut might be jammed against the stud causing it to unscrew from the base...........
On several of mine, the two little screws that go in from the back side had come loose. They hold the nylon slide tight. You have to get behind the paper sticker to tighten them up. A good thing to do if you need to before it is installed.

Thanks I'll check it out soon.