Author Topic: How serious is the neck dive in an SB400?  (Read 3107 times)

ilan

• View Profile
How serious is the neck dive in an SB400?
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:39:46 AM »
Looking at an SB400 I assume it has some neck dive... am I right? How serious is it?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: How serious is the neck dive in an SB400?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 04:08:30 AM »
I can't tell, but I think the problem of neck dive has as much to do with the player as with the bass. As a Tbird player and being quite a simple rock player I'm used to and can handle a bit of dive. Some people can't handle a bit of dive, while I hardly notice it. Some people like rougher straps which 'stick' on your clotes, and help against neck dive, while I prefer the sliding ones.

The thing I have problems with more is the tendency of basses leanin forwards, when a strap button is on the heel. Especially with a small bodied Höfner.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:59:16 AM »
If it is, swapping tuners might help?  Although the original ones in photos I've seen don't look super gigantic.
Just a thought... I completely cured neck dive on my Greco bird by putting in a set of Hipshot ultralights.

Another option if you don't mind replacing hardware:  Find a heavier bridge?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
All I can tell you is that my slothead EB-0L from the same era had moderate neck dive. Nothing I couldn't handle. That was all mahogany though.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
I bought a 3" wide strap for my EB-3, works pretty well to minimize the sensation and you get used to it anyway, at least I do.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:43:27 AM »
Not so much neck dive as unstable, the small light alder body against the heavy long scale maple neck ...  And the SG shape isn't the most stable body shape to begin with. But it's not like the neck pulls down like a boat anchor per se,

more that you wish that the body was a little heavier and/or larger. You can play an SB 400 all night in a series of short sets and it won't tire you, but it won't "sit" against your gut like, say, a Jazz Bass would.  It'll always move a little while you play, but neck weight really isn't the cause of that. Unless you are obsessive with a bass being ergonomic (and how can you, if you are the Ric moderator?  :mrgreen: ), you'll make the adjustment easily.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:52:48 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
Unless you are obsessive with a bass being ergonomic (and how can you, if you are the Ric moderator?  :mrgreen: ), you'll make the adjustment easily.
I find Rics extremely comfortable. Perfect balance on a strap due to the elongated top horn, and the thin body feels great. The binding never bothered me. I liked them from the first time I ever tried a Ric.

I was looking at this one because the price ($725) seems reasonable. But I think I'll wait for an SB300. It's the scale, the possible neck dive, and a long scale neck on an SG body looks a bit weird.

They used the same body for the 300 and 400 with the pickups at the same locations... I don't know if it's good or bad, intentional or just cost effective.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:37:29 PM by ilan »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »
I find Rics extremely comfortable. Perfect balance on a strap due to the elongated top horn, and the thin body feels great. The binding never bothered me. I liked them from the first time I ever tried a Ric.

I was looking at this one because the price ($725) seems reasonable. But I think I'll wait for an SB300. It's the scale, the possible neck dive, and a long scale neck on an SG body looks a bit weird.

They used the same body for the 300 and 400 with the pickups at the same locations... I don't know if it's good or bad, intentional or just cost effective.

Don't wait. Buy it. It's the best combo of the four SB variations (300, 400, 350 and 450). The pups and the way they are placed on both scale versions (good, but unintentional, just cost effective, this is Gibson, ok?) sound great on the long scale and while the SB 300 isn't in any way bad (the rear pup is still a long way from the bridge) it's just not as astoundingly good as the SB 400 which has the characteristic of a good 60ies Jazz Bass. The SB 350 is the worst of the SBs because of the rear pup sounding all brittle due to the proximity to the bridge on a short scale. SB 400 are also more rare than SB 300.

Here's how an unaltered SB 300 can sound (with a famous Ozzy Osbourne imposter!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3YXIXp9zJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzO8qyf7YQ

Bradley's bassist uses it all the time. An SB 400 would sound as warm and full, but more distinct.

Finally, Ilan, you're tall and lanky, an SB 300 would look like a toy on you!  :mrgreen:

In comparison to the - in some quarters: much, yet utterly unjustly derided, you know who you are out there! - SB 300, an EB-0 in Charles Bradley's music becomes basically inaudible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGQ7gvVe6w
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:43:25 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
Huh? Nothing inaudible about that EB-0.

YT videos of different songs recorded at different times and under different conditions don't give you a valid comparison anyway.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
It thumps, but it is hard to hear a note. Especially if you are not a bassist, but Joe Blow from the audience.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »
you're tall and lanky, an SB 300 would look like a toy on you!  :mrgreen:

I can pull off a Tele  :mrgreen: It can't be smaller than a Tele, right?  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »
I rest my case! All I wanted to do was prevent shame and embarrassment ...  :-[

Nothing wrong with an Israeli Ukulele Orchestra of course ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLgJ7pk0X-s

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
It thumps, but it is hard to hear a note. Especially if you are not a bassist, but Joe Blow from the audience.

I can hear it without any problem.

The non-bassist audience is irrelevant.  ;)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 02:01:02 AM »
Okay Uwe now I have GAS for a resonator uke.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »