Author Topic: best place to sell?  (Read 2042 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
best place to sell?
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:05:22 AM »
hey guys, whats up?. long time. i want to downsize my collection by like 8 or 9 basses that i never use. where is the best place ? Reverb? Ebay? Craigslist ? anything i dont know?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: best place to sell?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
Whatcha got? There's classifieds here, not sure if they're the best option but enquiring minds want to know.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:08:18 AM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
Hey Bryan!

Hard to say, depending on what you've got. I haven't sold much, don't have much to sell, but my eBay sales have gone off without a hitch, and they've lowered their final value fee to 3.5% on musical instruments to match Reverb.

I've only bought on Reverb, not sold. The plus side to Reverb is that its owned by the same people who own Chicago Music Exchange. They know their stuff, and from what I've read, they will get actively involved if there's a dispute about condition, etc., unlike eBay, which has a reputation of almost always siding with the buyer. In either case, you still have to face the possibility of a shady buyer disputing through PayPal.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »

I've only bought on Reverb, not sold. The plus side to Reverb is that its owned by the same people who own Chicago Music Exchange. They know their stuff, and from what I've read, they will get actively involved if there's a dispute about condition, etc., unlike eBay, which has a reputation of almost always siding with the buyer. In either case, you still have to face the possibility of a shady buyer disputing through PayPal.

I put up my first item for sale on ebay last week, and prepare for this.

Ebay is great if you buy. But I have noticed sellers responding with anger if there is a problem with an item, perhaps because some buyers take advantage of the ebay protection. I'd say 99% of my ebay buying have ended well, but I don't expect that to happen when I start selling stuff.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

I usually post on Reverb & Craigslist simultaneously.   I'd rather find a local buyer thru CL, but doesn't always work out that way.  You have to deal with a lot of flakes on CL also.  Talkbass forum is also a great place to sell for bass-related gear.

Definitely let us know what you're gonna sell though, lotsa great deals made right here.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »
I haven't sold on eBay in a few years but never had a problem as a seller. Just stopped using them when the fees reached a stupid level. I have sold a couple items on Reverb and had no issues there. Craigslist is free but you get a lot of tire kickers and obvious scammers. Text messages like "I am interested in your musical instrument. Please send me your final price" are common from scammers. I started leaving the texts on my phone so I know its the same scammer later when they reach out for my next item. There are also new sites like Offer Up but i have no experience with those.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
My usual drill is forums first, followed by Facebook groups. Failing those, then off to the auction sites.  I've only sold a few things on Reverb... always got significantly more bites via Ebay.

I'd honestly rather get a root canal than have to resort to Craigslist, but I have had a handful of good transactions there over the years... and the comedic factor is second to none.