Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Signature Mustang for JMJ

<< < (3/3)

ilan:

--- Quote from: Alanko on July 21, 2017, 01:28:28 PM ---I have a big respect for people that make Mustang basses work for them. I have better luck with my Starcaster bass, which is a shorty. I do wonder what a 34 inch Mustang would be like in terms of feel.

--- End quote ---
My old '66 Mustang had some neck-dive with its 30" scale neck. I replaced the stock tuners with Hipshot Ultralights to corrected it.

In terms of sound, 80's Bullet basses are 34" scale basses with surplus Mustang pickups.

ilan:
JMJ explains

Dave W:
Great explanation. Too bad about the fake wear.

doombass:
What puzzles me the most with any kind of recent "affordable" vintage reissue Fenders whether signature model or not, they most of the time miss the 7.25" radius on the fretboard like that does'nt matter. To me the difference between a 7.25" and a 9.5" radius neck is substantial to the feel of playing the neck. JMJ only mentions the bridge missing the mutes as a difference from his original which the signature model is based on.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: doombass on July 24, 2017, 04:17:10 PM ---What puzzles me the most with any kind of recent "affordable" vintage reissue Fenders whether signature model or not, they most of the time miss the 7.25" radius on the fretboard like that does'nt matter. To me the difference between a 7.25" and a 9.5" radius neck is substantial to the feel of playing the neck. JMJ only mentions the bridge missing the mutes as a difference from his original which the signature model is based on.

--- End quote ---

It sure matters to me. Likewise with small frets. Two reasons I wouldn't be interested. Vintage reissues are usually true to the originals and so are signature models unless the artist wants it updated.

Custom shop models are more likely to have a modern radius and frets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version