Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Signature Mustang for JMJ

(1/3) > >>

Chris P.:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/summer-namm-2017-fender-reveals-new-jimi-hendrix-george-harrison-and-justin-meldal-johnsen-signature-guitars-and-basses

bassilisk:
It just seems odd to me. I see popular players getting Signature basses from what were always considered the most basic beginner models.
Growing up I didn't know anyone that had a Mustang, or a Melody Maker for that matter. Maybe I needed a larger circle to sample.

I guess there's not much fruit left on the tree. Maybe I am the victim of a certain degree of instrument snobbery, but I started with
a piece of firewood and made every effort to get away from it ASAP. I don't know - maybe I'm just too old for this kind of thing.

I'm sure it'll be fine with a custom pickup(?) and whatever they have to do to bring it up some notches.
But, I'll always see this as the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear. To me, no matter what you do, it'll always be just a Mustang....

Pilgrim:
I've always thought the Mustang basses were very cool in a minimalist way. The Competition Mustangs with the stripes were the top of the line to me, which is one reason my Squier Bronco now looks like this:

Dave W:
Mustangs are cool enough. But as nice a guy as JMJ seems to be, I can't see how he has the name recognition to make this a success. The link shows a price of £969. I checked GAK to see the comparable UK price of the new Mustang PJ, it's £527. That's a huge difference for a supposedly custom p/u in the original style. And the road worn finish?  :puke:

Chris P.:

--- Quote from: bassilisk on July 14, 2017, 10:17:52 AM ---It just seems odd to me. I see popular players getting Signature basses from what were always considered the most basic beginner models.

--- End quote ---

Examples?

I dunno what the price is, but I think this one's very nicely done.And it's really a bass JMJ uses a lot. Nice colour and nice job on the 'aging'. Even the pickguard with a lighter part where the finger rest used to be before it became a thumb rest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version