Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Gibson EB-0 serial number help needed

(1/3) > >>

rnrgeek:
 I have a vintage Gibson BO bass. the junior body style
 I am trying to determine the exact year. The serial # is 105689

Can anyone help me?

uwe:
Based on the number alone that will be difficult, back then the serial numbers of Gibson were notoriouly inaccurate and wanton. But given the model ... 60/61ish?

dadagoboi:
Original? or 'reissue'

Originals were made for two years, '59 and '60.  Serial number is ink stamped on the back of the headstock. first number is either 9 or 0 to match the year followed by four digits.

Like this:

Reissue? Who cares...actually back then Gibson was pretty consistent, they only got squirrely in the '60s

Dave W:

--- Quote from: dadagoboi on July 12, 2017, 10:57:37 AM ---Original? or 'reissue'

Originals were made for two years, '59 and '60.  Serial number is ink stamped on the back of the headstock. first number is either 9 or 0 to match the year followed by four digits.

Reissue? Who cares...actually back then Gibson was pretty consistent, they only got squirrely in the '60s

--- End quote ---

I'm not aware of any reissue of the Junior style.

AFAIK the Junior style was made as late as sometime into '61, and the numbering system changed in '61. According to Fjestad's Blue Book, the serial numbers ranged from 100 to 42440. So my guess would be a '61.

uwe:
"I'm not aware of any reissue of the Junior style."

Alas!, human memory, my friends, is as precious as it is fleeting.

It doth tend to get blurry and unfocused at times.

***He struck that thing with Gwyneth from his memory too. Just ignore it. :-X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version