Author Topic: German vs. Italian technology  (Read 3359 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: German vs. Italian technology
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:51:33 AM »
 :popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »
Hey, Italians never play fair!!!

But, granted, that dolce vita approach has something going for it.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:38:05 AM »
Hey, Italians never play fair!!!

But, granted, that dolce vita approach has something going for it.  :mrgreen:

More effective I dare say!
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:48:04 AM »
Lol
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:30:55 AM »
That definitely made the "Trunk Monkey" obsolete in my book................ But we weren't comparing American technology.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:42 AM »
Indiana Jones--Austrian vs. German Way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJi-7aOQSQ
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »
Was told by my daughter just back from traveling through Europe and South Africa, that Munich was the only place where people were unfriendly and would not help her, or even acknowledge whether they spoke English...even the subway people....she thought it was something against Americans, or the English...

She said an elderly woman came to her rescue, though, when she heard the subway people refuse to help her find her way...

She liked the people in Spain, France, the Czech Republic and South Africa(where she stayed a month)...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:46:40 AM by patman »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:04:59 PM »
I'm not surprised. No one in his right mind likes Munich. Totally overrated and only popular with tourists. Until they have been there!

Raiders of the Lost Ark III was the worst one. Only her fake Tshörmenn äkzent was any gööd. And of course, the Austrians had the reputation of being the worst Nazis of all.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
My first trip to Europe many years ago was to Germany.  The three main cities I visited were Frankfurt, Nuremberg and Munich.  When I took the train from Frankfurt,  I was actually astonished at the sound of German in Munich.  I had heard the different accents in the movies.  But in person I found the Frankfurt and Munich accents to be radically different.  I don't know any German.  I'm just referring to the sounds themselves.  For the first few minutes in the Munich train station I was kind of overwhelmed.  To my ears, it sounded like something had gone wrong with the German language from Frankfurt to Munich.  This is all subjective and I'm sure some people would disagree.  But that's my take on the matter.  I've mentioned this in another thread, but thought i'd mention it again since Munich came up. 

I have some friends who just got back from Spain.  I was surprised when they told me that they had found Spain a little unfriendly.  It just isn't the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from them.  I wouldn't want to let that stop me from going to Spain some day, though.  I'd also like to go to Portugal. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:58:26 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
I was surprised when they told me that they had found Spain a little unfriendly.  It just isn't the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from them.  I wouldn't want to let that stop me from going to Spain some day, though.

Spain is actually the only country I have had such a bad experience with that I will never go back there. I'm not a fan of sun and beachlife that is one thing, but I was overwhelmed by the general unfriendlyness. My wife and I + another couple decided in 2003 to go to Spain for 3 weeks, rent a car and see the whole country. We started in Alicante and drove the east coast up, visiting many citys but avoiding the tourist places. Maybe that was the catch, we got that 'I hate tourists look' everywhere. I spoke decent Spanish at the time, but that seemed to piss them off too, if I asked them to repeat anything they responded by talking even faster. And the reckless driving, never seen so many accidents. We even ended up in one..
          That was the longest, worst vacation I ever had. As we approached Barcelona, we heard on the radio that there had been bombing there. So we went up to the pyrinees instead, stayed in a mountaintown called Xandadu (I remember I read it like Xanadu). It was like another country! Just so nice, friedly people, great food. I wished we had just stayed up north, It was the same thing all over again when we travelled back to the south (through Madrid). Except for that stay in the north, Granada was the only town where we felt welcome. Well, with heat like that I'd be grumpy too!

Since that vacation, we stick to Belgium and Holland, great places.. Been to England too (and travelled through a couple of German cities)  and only ever met nice people.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 11:45:53 PM »
Spain is actually the only country I have had such a bad experience with that I will never go back there. I'm not a fan of sun and beachlife that is one thing, but I was overwhelmed by the general unfriendlyness. My wife and I + another couple decided in 2003 to go to Spain for 3 weeks, rent a car and see the whole country. We started in Alicante and drove the east coast up, visiting many citys but avoiding the tourist places. Maybe that was the catch, we got that 'I hate tourists look' everywhere. I spoke decent Spanish at the time, but that seemed to piss them off too, if I asked them to repeat anything they responded by talking even faster. And the reckless driving, never seen so many accidents. We even ended up in one..
          That was the longest, worst vacation I ever had. As we approached Barcelona, we heard on the radio that there had been bombing there. So we went up to the pyrinees instead, stayed in a mountaintown called Xandadu (I remember I read it like Xanadu). It was like another country! Just so nice, friedly people, great food. I wished we had just stayed up north, It was the same thing all over again when we travelled back to the south (through Madrid). Except for that stay in the north, Granada was the only town where we felt welcome. Well, with heat like that I'd be grumpy too!

Since that vacation, we stick to Belgium and Holland, great places.. Been to England too (and travelled through a couple of German cities)  and only ever met nice people.

When they told me that about Spain, I had to take it seriously.  Because I know them well and they are experienced travelers.  What gets me is that I hadn't heard that about Spain before.  They only visited the southern part of Spain.  I don't have the details of the trip yet because they just got back.  I suppose, though, their account will be similar to yours.  Maybe going to Spain some day and trying out my Spanish isn't such a good idea after all.  It got up to a 110 there while they were there.  But that's to be expected.  They went to Granada last and were impressed with the Alhambra.  One of them is an art expert.  So Spain certainly has a lot of that. 

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 05:31:11 AM »
I think her choice of Munich was dictated by the fact that her flight to South Africa left from Munich...the month in South Africa was for an internship in photo journalism...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
The Spanish aren't really unfriendly, just hasty, impatient and don't suffer fools gladly. Kind of like New Yorkers.  :mrgreen: