Author Topic: 2018 Gibson basses. New basses, new topic :)  (Read 26876 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
Re: 2018 Gibson basses. New basses, new topic :)
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2017, 05:17:41 AM »
Color me intrigued,  ???  they may have a winner with this one.  Seems like a (somewhat at least) faithfull update of the Old RD Artist.   I look forward to hearing how it sounds.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
I'm pleasantly surprised.  I'm not entirely sure it is 100% "Artist" (speaking as an owner of a '79 RD Artist), but it's no "Standard" either.  I guess it's more "Artist" than "Standard" and that's more than I expected.  Colour me intrigued (but because I have one of the originals, it won't be high on my shopping list)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
I saw a couple complaints on facebook about the rosewood fingerboards, but I think they look good. I never liked the "all blond" look of the natural ones with maple boards, so that's an improvement to me. And I like the way it contrasts against the black versus an ebony board. With all that maple, I think rosewood is a good choice. Still don't like those "Grover" tuners they've been using. They stick out too far.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
On paper it seems like a nice balance -  modern tweaks that are still in the spirit of the classic instrument. Maybe they didn't totally blow it? 😮
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2017, 11:52:47 AM »
I have no problems at all with the rosewood fretboard. And no problems with the DeCola pickups.
But I think the controls lay-out is a mess.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see whether the RDs are true to "original" weight- ie 11 pounds and up.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
I'd think the weight should be similar if it's a solid maple body with no weight relief. If anything it might be even heavier if you consider that the moog electronics on the original probably weren't as heavy as the substantial amount of wood they displaced. The other variable could be the species of Maple. Some are lighter in weight compared to typical rock or sugar maple but the trade of is they would dent much easier.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/
Heavy or not, I'm on the same page as Helen Thomas on these new RD artists.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
Too bad they aren't doing a separate top and back with some weight relief (like most LP guitar models). Solid maple with a 1 1/4" thick Rickenbacker is slightly on the heavy side. The RD will probably be the full 1 3/4" like the originals and just as heavy.

Heavy or not, I'm on the same page as Helen Thomas on these new RD artists.

Must not be the famous Helen Thomas. Or did she play an RD at White House press conferences?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
Yes, that Helen Thomas. I don't think she played bass. She's dead now so she didn't get to see this new RD but if she did play bass and was still alive, I think she might have reacted thusly.
http://troll.me/images/helen-thomas/that-makes-me-moist-thumb.jpg
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
It was always puzzling to me why the RD Artist guitar felt to be more of a "normal weight" & the bass version felt so much heavier. Both versions should be identical with the exception of neck size?
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »
Yes, that Helen Thomas. I don't think she played bass. She's dead now so she didn't get to see this new RD but if she did play bass and was still alive, I think she might have reacted thusly.
http://troll.me/images/helen-thomas/that-makes-me-moist-thumb.jpg

Helen was no Helen of Troy. She always looked like that, even when she was happy.

She wouldn't have played an RD, but I could imagine her having played rockabilly slap lines on an upright.  ;D

It was always puzzling to me why the RD Artist guitar felt to be more of a "normal weight" & the bass version felt so much heavier. Both versions should be identical with the exception of neck size?

The only one I ever played was quite heavy, though not as much as the basses. It was for sale at Danny & Cindy's original store for a long time.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »

Easy answer.
The basses are much thicker in the body.
Basses about 40mm.
Guitars  about 34mm.

My RD Artist Guitar is much lighter than my RD Basses- I have a Artist and a Standard.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
Easy answer.
The basses are much thicker in the body.
Basses about 40mm.
Guitars  about 34mm.

My RD Artist Guitar is much lighter than my RD Basses- I have a Artist and a Standard.

Interesting! I never noticed the difference before. I'll have to measure mine sometime.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
The only one I ever played was quite heavy, though not as much as the basses. It was for sale at Danny & Cindy's original store for a long time.

Danny had some good stuff from time to time. He once told me "It would have to have three horns on it before I'd buy it!"

I bought my bass from Chad at Encore Music & found the guitar in the Thrifty Section of the StarTribune.........

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »
Danny had some good stuff from time to time. He once told me "It would have to have three horns on it before I'd buy it!"

I bought my bass from Chad at Encore Music & found the guitar in the Thrifty Section of the StarTribune.........

Chad had two Kalamazoo basses when I stopped in about a month ago. Last Saturday I stopped in again after having coffee next door, both were sold. Surprised me that he moved those so quickly.