Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Looking for a Hollowbody

(1/14) > >>

rexdiablo:
So, I've been bitten by the new bass bug, and have been giving a lot of thought to getting a hollow body. I'll be playing with a garage/punk band. Any recommendations if working with an $800 or so budget?

I've played a reissue Starfire, an original EB-2D, as well as several funky old cheapies (ala Orfeus, Conquistador.) But shops don't tend to have much in stock to put my hands on. Of the ones I've played the Gibson was the favorite, but I can't swing the $2300 price.

I usually prefer shortscale instruments with this band, but am not married to one scale length. I really like the look of EB-2, but again, not married to anything in particular. I'm interested in the Gretsch Electromatic, Epiphone Rivoli reissues, Jack Casady Signatures, Kays, Harmonys, Arias, anything and everything, really. Spending less is always nice, and I could go a hair higher if there's a clear winner.  Just asking for opinions and experience!

rexdiablo:

This is the band in question...

amptech:
I love my Gretsch 6070. It has a huge neck but if that's OK with you, the reward is a full and authoritive tone with the ability to cut through too. They are not too common, but not in demand either so you can stumble upon a vintage one for a good price. When I got mine a couple of years back, I remember the few I saw were about $800-900. I saw a couple priced higher too, that did not sell. Worth checking out!

Alanko:
I like my Aria TAB-66, but I've modified mine quite extensively. I picked it up cheap, but it seems they are discontinued. Even stock it had two minibuckers that were quite snarly. I've seen mention of a few Post Punk bands using these, perhaps because they look like Peter Hook's custom hollow basses?

Another contender that hasn't been mentioned here is the Warwick Star bass. They sound surprisingly modern, but look quite a bit like a Starfire with two mudbuckers. The only thing I dislike about them is the Warwick headstock on them, complete with the raked back tuners. It totally spoils the look for me.

Punk/Garage conjures up two different sounds to me. Garage rock just needs that fat, pillowy low-mids tone that almost echoes the 'British Invasion' tone generated by Rivolis and the like. Punk tone is a lot brighter and, if anything, is lacking in serious lows and low-mids in favour of a tinny snarl.

You could buy a used and abused Epiphone Rivoli and have it routed for a P pickup in the mid position, and maybe stick a Dimarzio Model One up front to reduce the impedance discrepancy between the pickups? A total wildcard suggestion on my part.

FrankieTbird:

Look into a Gibson Midtown also.  Great bass and a lot cheaper than an EB-2 or a 335 bass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version