Author Topic: New Epiphone Thunderbird video  (Read 13927 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: New Epiphone Thunderbird video
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Indeed. The Squier Vintage Modified stuff has a very good reputation. But overall, most consider it step down from Fender. I'm not sure how well justified that is, as mass-produced instruments vary, and a great Squier can be a better instrument than a poor Fender.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
I don't think of the Epis being to Gibson as Squier is to Fender, more like a Fender MIM is to a Fender MIA. Both are solid instruments.

As an example, I don't think the Casady takes a back seat to anything in the Gibson line.

You're right, the three-point bridge studs pull out on both!  ;D

But seriously, everything is built to a price point. You just have to figure out if the value you expect is there.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
Now if they only went back to that brilliant Yank mechanical invention also known as the Evertilt two-point bridge with its hypothetical stringholder that would have alleviated all concerns if, if only, it had ever left the drawing board. The theoretic concept was immaculate though!

All credit to endurance, but any stud needs to be withdrawn eventually, it does get painful.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:47 PM »
Now if they only went back to that brilliant Yank mechanical invention also known as the Evertilt two-point bridge with its hypothetical stringholder that would have alleviated all concerns if, if only, it had ever left the drawing board. The theoretic concept was immaculate though!

All credit to endurance, but any stud needs to be withdrawn eventually, it does get painful.

Isn't the problem that the bridge studs or sleeves they're using are slightly too small? If that's the case, wouldn't a two-pointer have the same problem? Or is it related to the bridge design? I had no problem with the Babicz bridge when I had my SG Bass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2017, 12:34:27 AM »
I would think that the Holy Immaculate Trinity stud bridge is more prone to a single stud being pulled out due to the leverage force being more powerful on a three point (if two studs are raised and one isn't) than on a mere two point. Of course, the strength (in the truest sense of the word) of the three point is just that third stabilizing stud which prevents all tilt. But if badly or extremely set up it also heightens the pull.

I have cursed tiltomatic two point bridges forever, but I've never had one where the studs pulled out. THAT IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!!!  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2017, 01:42:30 AM »
The two hooks on the rear of a three point really anchor around the bridge posts that have a wider screw head. All the string pull is being transferred to the posts. With the Two point bridge aka Evertilt the bridge just rests on the manchet (flange?) of the string posts. The string posts of the Evertilt don't have the wider screw head. So if the string pulls the bridge, those forces are not being transferred to the posts. The only thing that will move is the bridge itself.

With the string posts being too narrow to make a real tight fit for the bridge itself the bridge has room to wiggle. The hex screws on the back of the bridge are meant to secure the bridge. But these are often overlooked because they are so well hidden.

The best solution for the Evertilt is to make new bridge posts that are a bit wider. I've also been using pipefitters tape to make a snug fit between bridge and posts.

On my 1969 Les Paul Bass I have placed a small dome head screw right in the middle under the front side of the bridge. This prevents the bridge from tilting forward. Making it a three point of sorts ;-)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Makes sense. The design of the Hipshot and Babicz prevent that from happening, and the 2-point Hipshot can't tilt.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 10:34:39 AM »
Mind you, and all without a semblance of a string holder!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
Mind you, and all without a semblance of a string holder!

Not a lot of support there!  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
It has that in common with the two point bridge, doesn't it?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
It has that in common with the two point bridge, doesn't it?

Touche, sir!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »
First of all, a proper thong is far more 3-point if you really spend some time thinking about it.  If youre looking for an undergarment equivalent if the 2-point I think the C-string is a much better representation.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstein/the-c-string-makes-the-average-thong-look-like-granny-pantie?utm_term=.ghlPEbOnnx#.uhY4zZJ11y

Edit, I honestly thought this was the thunderbird video thread when I posted the below video.  I normally would never post in an epiphone thread ;D

And second, I apologize if I've already posted this but I saw this video tonight and thought is was worth a re-spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK6MElklfvM

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:02:19 PM by 66Atlas »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
C-string? "Honey, I told you not to force the shoehorn too much again and bend it like that!"  8)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »

That just looks like a badly matted up beaver.......  :rolleyes:

No thanks!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
Here I was trying to sell basses and now I'm interested in one of these. Damn it.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.