Author Topic: Epiphone Delight  (Read 1617 times)

bassilisk

• View Profile
Epiphone Delight
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
I have an Epi JC that I bought a couple of years ago and I really like it, especially since I updated the hardware. I have tried various strings on it - Dean Markley Nickel Rounds, Chromes, DR Blues, Dunlop Nickels. All sound pretty good (different, but good), but I had a chance to try something that for me was completely different.

Last December Jason at bassstringonline.com (I get almost all of my strings from him - highly recommended) offered these:
LB_750GAME La Bella Limited Edition "Game of Death" Gold White Nylon Tapewounds 4-String Set 50-105.

The only tapewounds I ever tried/used was Fender's back in the 70's. I figured I would give it a shot.
(Aside - due to a snafu at bsol they were marked shipped but never sent. By the time this was discovered he had no more in stock so he had LaBella make a set just for me and send them direct. That was very cool! 8))

What I like is that this set is in a standard gauge vs the current 060, .070, .094, .115.
 http://www.labella.com/products/760g-gold-white-nylon-tape-standard-60-115/

I finally put them on the JC and gigged it this past Friday.

In a word, Wow! They really sounded great. Excellent fundamental (the E string roared), super easy to play. They are by nature a softer feel so some concientious attack control on my part was in order (I have a pretty heavy hand), but I am lovin' 'em. I only hope that at some point LaBella offers them in these gauges again. I'll have to look into that some more with Jason.
I'm not crazy about playing rope.

Anyway, thought I'd share an excellent discovery. Well worth a try.

Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Epiphone Delight
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
Labellas are usually a good way to go - the Deep Talkin' Flats are my pick. Those sound good, and I'll bet they sound even better after they've been on fo a few weeks.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
Nice thing about LaBella is that they will make what you want, even if it's a one-off, if you're willing to wait. And they also make special sets to dealer specs, e.g. Jason has this set made to order (I have them on my slothead EB-0).

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
Wish I was in the us... Couple of months ago, I decided to try a set of DTB, since you guys here speak so warmly of them.
I asked for LaBellas in the local guitar shop, they said they did not stock them. They had some guitar LaBellas, and actually said 'have you looked for them online'? After my reply (well, it's not the first time I've had to remind them that they should think twice before pointing a customer in that direction) they picked up the phone and found out that the distributor actually had two sets of DTB short scale flats in stock. After a week, I stopped by the shop to see if they had arrived, but the shop called the distributor who answered : funny, we seem to remember sending them but still have two in stock... and they needed to investigate what have happened... Ok, by this time I could certainly have them if I bought them online.

End of story: Another week and they arrive. Strung them up, and .. hey wait, this set have three short scale strings and one long scale. Sent a mail to the distributor, still got no reply. This was in May. And that set was almost as expensive as the TI flats, wich is the set I usually use. Guess it's juststrings or something next time :-\

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:27:24 AM »
Labella has excellent customer service, as does Jason and so does JustStrings for that matter.

I guess what surprised me with these particular strings is how responsive they are.
For some reason I erroneously thought tapewounds would be thuddy and low definition, similar to the response of a stand-up.

These are nothing like that with great round tone and sustain.
I can't say enough about how excellent the JC pickup is as well. A great combo.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
Labella has excellent customer service, as does Jason and so does JustStrings for that matter.

I guess what surprised me with these particular strings is how responsive they are.
For some reason I erroneously thought tapewounds would be thuddy and low definition, similar to the response of a stand-up.

These are nothing like that with great round tone and sustain.
I can't say enough about how excellent the JC pickup is as well. A great combo.

Not all tapewounds are equal. I used the LaBella black tapewounds for years on my old EB-0L, the original 60-115 size. I've also tried other brands, IMHO none compare to LaBellas. Especially the Roto Trubass tapes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
"Especially the Roto Trubass tapes."

How tru(e). Very uneven and tricky to intonate. Worst tapewounds widely available. Labella tapewounds are fine.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:29:13 AM »
I just got a set of Höfner nylon tapewounds, which are made by Pyramid, around the corner at Höfner's. never played them, still have to mount them, so curious!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
You are not really comparing deutsches Qualitätsmaterial to that Limey rubbish?!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...