Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

A mere 50 years of misunderstanding

<< < (2/4) > >>

BTL:
Power up sequence = Power "on", then Standby "on" = Amplifier is live.

Power down sequence = Standby "off", Power "off" - Amplifier is completely off.

Highlander:
Hiwatt... standby off, power on... standby on when in use... standby off when resting... standby off then power off when shutting down... same with my old Marshall too...

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: BeeTL on July 02, 2017, 05:21:06 AM ---Power up sequence = Power "on", then Standby "on" = Amplifier is live.

Power down sequence = Standby "off", Power "off" - Amplifier is completely off.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that addresses the basic question I'm asking.

From the explanations, it sounds like Standby sends voltage to half of the tube structure, and Power sends it to the other half. (I'm not clear on the difference between the grid, the filaments, and the cathode/anode functions.)

I notice that if the Standby switch is flipped DOWN, the amp ceases to function. Therefore I assume that Up = On for the portion of the tubes it powers.

When powering up the amp, I now understand Standby goes first, then Power. That's good, since that has been my practice. So far, so good.

I guess I only have one question left, since I have the power up and power down sequence.  (Thanks, BeeTL!)

During a break, which switch should be flipped to the DOWN position?  When I am playing and want to take a break, I have always flipped Power down and left Standby Up.  It now sounds like I should have done the exact opposite.

Rob:

--- Quote from: Pilgrim on July 02, 2017, 05:13:03 PM ---
OK, still very basic questions:

From the explanations, it wounds like Standby sends voltage to half of the tube structure, and Power sends it to the other half. (I'm not clear on the difference between the grid, the filaments, and the cathode/anode functions.)

On my Fender Bassman, there are Standby and Power switches next to each other. In the UP position, is Standby On or Off?

I notice that if the Standby switch is flipped DOWN, the amp ceases to function. Therefore I assume that Up = On.

When powering up the amp, which should be flipped up first, Standby or Power? I have always flipped Standby up first, then Power. This may be precisely wrong.

So - during a break, which switch should be flipped to the DOWN position?

Once I am playing and want to take a break, I have always flipped Power down and left Standby Up.  It now sounds like I should have done the exact opposite.

--- End quote ---

Well yeah but "Standby" meant ready to go in the old Fender stuff .
I think the terms were reversed compared to what we are saying now.

Pilgrim:
Thanks, Rob.  I apologize for editing my post a number of times so that what you quoted isn't exactly what appears in my post now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version