Author Topic: Forget the amp this might create, I want that computer!  (Read 2925 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Forget the amp this might create, I want that computer!
« on: June 28, 2017, 03:01:04 AM »
There’s no word on whether these vacuum-channel transistors will allow for the creation of small, modern audio amplifiers that sound like original tube amps — but maybe!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/185027-the-vacuum-tube-strikes-back-nasas-tiny-460ghz-vacuum-transistor-that-could-one-day-replace-silicon-fets

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Forget the amp this might create, I want that computer!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:09:02 AM »
Wouldn't that be nice!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
It would make many grey-haired old farts happy to look into their amp and see tube-like objects.

Not sure it would sound any different, but the basic premise is intriguing.

agreed, I don't care about the amp, but the computer would be a burner.  Might be a bit bulky, though.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
As an IT guy and musician I think it's a wonderful time to be alive.  If, along with miniaturisation they can reduce the voltage requirements, I see micro heads and more tube OD/preamp pedals hitting the market in a decade.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:32:50 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
I thought the US, Russia and China military always retained a core tube technology because - unlike transistors - tubes will work immediately after (and during) a nuclear strike? I further thought that a company like Sovtek were military suppliers initially?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:24:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »
They are/were.  The Sovtek 5881WXT is actually not a 5881 at all but a weird Russian (Soviet era) servo tube used in certain MIG fighters and military comm equipment generally that was close enough in specs to be subbed in, so Sovtek started relabbelling them, changed the bases out to standard octal and started selling surplus off to the audio market.  It can actually take much higher plate voltages than other 5881/6L6s which is why Fender and Mesa use them as original equipment (rebranded of course).  Now they are probably THE single most commonly used 6L6 type tube out there.  Not the best sounding, but certainly the most robust (as far as new production goes).

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Knowing my Sunn will still work after a nuclear attack makes me feel so much better!  ;D
Russia has also started using typewriters again. They're much harder to hack.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
If it's ' 7 knob' aka a Sunn w trem and verb the trem circuit as well as the reverb recovery amp are solid state. Not sure about the non- fx models; probably all tube. .... oh later Sunns used solid state rectifiers, but I think diodes would be ok vs transistors which are more delicate/ sensitive to heat and, I assume, EMPs.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 06:18:24 AM »
Just a regular 2000s with the dual tube rectifier. That's what these 5AR4 tubes are for, correct?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
Yep (though I thought these guys used GZ34s vs 5AR4s, whatever the case that would be them).  My 1200s (same power section; diff preamp) is a later one - still has the rectifier tube sockets, but the second one isn't even wired up (so nice of Conrad to put it in there anyway, in case one wants the tube sag) and the first one has a plug in diode bridge module instead of the tube.  Tighter bass with ss rectification and more headroom.  Since there are multiple unused pins on octal base rectifier tubes, it's actually stupid simple to mod an amp to have the option for both.  Just need 4 diodes (buck each on the outside), a switch, and a soldering iron .  Good backup too in case a rectifier tube goes.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
Knowing my Sunn will still work after a nuclear attack makes me feel so much better!  ;D
Russia has also started using typewriters again. They're much harder to hack.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

4stringer77

• View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »
That story is from 2014 and includes this comment: "Last year Triumph Adler, part of Bandermann, made a YouTube video announcing its machines were 'Bug proof. NSA proof.'"

Which tells you the high regard the rest of the world has for US security. They are not interested in having us look over their shoulders.

I remember the thrill of trying to read the 3rd carbon of a typewritten document. Not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."