Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

Forget the amp this might create, I want that computer!

(1/3) > >>

OldManC:

--- Quote --- There’s no word on whether these vacuum-channel transistors will allow for the creation of small, modern audio amplifiers that sound like original tube amps — but maybe!
--- End quote ---

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/185027-the-vacuum-tube-strikes-back-nasas-tiny-460ghz-vacuum-transistor-that-could-one-day-replace-silicon-fets

Dave W:
Wouldn't that be nice!

Pilgrim:
It would make many grey-haired old farts happy to look into their amp and see tube-like objects.

Not sure it would sound any different, but the basic premise is intriguing.

agreed, I don't care about the amp, but the computer would be a burner.  Might be a bit bulky, though.

Granny Gremlin:
As an IT guy and musician I think it's a wonderful time to be alive.  If, along with miniaturisation they can reduce the voltage requirements, I see micro heads and more tube OD/preamp pedals hitting the market in a decade.

uwe:
I thought the US, Russia and China military always retained a core tube technology because - unlike transistors - tubes will work immediately after (and during) a nuclear strike? I further thought that a company like Sovtek were military suppliers initially?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version