Author Topic: Gibson 2018 bass line-up - busy times for Uwe and Basvarken  (Read 8400 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Exciting news from Gibson. At the end of the summer the 2018 model line starts and I have all the information, specs, and prices of all the Gibson basses. It will give Uwe, as Gibson buyer, and Basvarken Rob, as archivist, busy times. And this forum will need more server space for all our discussions, user reviews, rants about black hardware, et cetera.

Okay, hold on tight:

No basses for 2018.  :sad:

Having said that, Gibson unofficially states Epiphone will be more or less the bass brand. There will be a 100 limited runs so there could be a bass in it somewhere. And it'll be wrong  :mrgreen:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson 2018 bass line-up - busy times for Uwe and Basvarken
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:43 AM »
Wait. No new basses or no basses at all?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:00 AM »
None at all. No basses on the price list.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:03:49 AM »
They finally cut the bird??
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »
I don't think the Bird was available this year and last year. Only 2015 stock. Maybe 2016 stock.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:45:50 AM »
When you sent me the new Epiphone bass pics from the NAMM, I already thought that these three had to be the three new Gibson basses the guys of Gibson Amsterdam were talking about in november.

Oh well, at least I don't have to update the book...  :mrgreen:

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »
The Musical Lifestyle brand is leaving us low life's to Fend(er) for ourselfs..................
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:12 AM »
When you sent me the new Epiphone bass pics from the NAMM, I already thought that these three had to be the three new Gibson basses the guys of Gibson Amsterdam were talking about in november.

Oh well, at least I don't have to update the book...  :mrgreen:

That's what I thought too. Also, not long after the 2017 EB Bass came out, Chris said that Gibson was already looking past 2017, so it's no surprise that the EB Bass has been dropped.

No T-Birds since 2015. When the 2015 Birds didn't sell at the original $2600 street price, along with he rest of the 2015 sales fiasco, that was probably the last straw for Henry. I suspect he won't offer a neck through at the old price again.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:55 AM »
Hate to say it, but this is probably a wise decision on their part. How many can they actually keep selling? There's a mountain of used stuff out there (which is for the most part all I ever buy from any brand). They can let demand build(?) and make a big hoopla when they re-introduce basses to the US-made lineup.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »
I think a good '64 Tbird reissue (Chrome, two piece bridge) an SG Bass and a Rivoli/EB2 would always sell. Maybe not that much, but the sales will go on.

The same as with the Fender Mustang. Why a PJ? (I hate the looks, sound is good). The Mustang won't sell as much as a Mexican Precision but there will always be a little demand. There might be a lot of second hand stuff but Mustangs are hard to get second hand.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this article but it goes to basses as well:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.78193287e40a

The statistics aren't exactly eye opening but their application certainly encourages speculation.

With no new Gibsons in the 2018 catalog it looks like the future is already beginning.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »
It's not so upsetting. At least this news is balanced out by an almost faithfully reproduced Thunderbird by Epiphone. Honestly, does anyone believe Gibson would have done any more of a capable job with it than what Epiphone could produce at a fraction of the cost? It's just a shame we'll be stuck with an Epiphone badge and have to settle for something not made in America.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 10:06:24 AM »
There is no stability with Gibson...

The 2013/2014 EB's were good. Thunderbirds are iconic.

G3's were good.

I would think the SG bass was pretty good...

Why not develop a product line that works, and stick to it...make it affordable for the working musician, but not cheap...

Also, not a "lifestyle" statement for wealthy idiots either.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this article but it goes to basses as well:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.78193287e40a

The statistics aren't exactly eye opening but their application certainly encourages speculation.

With no new Gibsons in the 2018 catalog it looks like the future is already beginning.

I've read the article, it's been discussed to death at a couple of guitar forums I belong to. Problem is, it's biased and misleading. Not surprising when the author is quoting George Gruhn as a source, and he really has no idea about Fender and Guitar Center's actual situations.

I've seen the detailed figures in Music Trades, with unit sales and sales volume going back to 2010. It's true that guitar sales are flat but other categories have either been flat or declined over the same period, including percussion, portable keyboards and pro audio. Electric guitar sales for 2016 were up over 2015, and especially in the over $1250 retail category (go figure).

Bass sales were down, and are down about 1/3 since 2010, yet sales in the over $1000 retail category are up (again, go figure). But expensive bass sales are still very small compared to expensive guitars, and you have to figure Gibson will go where the most sales are.