Author Topic: Skol  (Read 2191 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Skol
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »

Considering how hot the Bonamassa Sig Firebird I reissue is (mostly sold out in Canada; limited Edition), I had to check out the one they had when I spotted it.  I was underwhelmed; plays great but not as resonant and sustainy as the bolt on Duosonics I played.  Coulda been a bad one, but def a play before buy sort of thing. Love the banjo tuners tho (the Steinberger tuners that recent Gibson FBrids have had can blow goats).

I played one of those in a ¤sound shop locally last week, awesome guitar. I think it's the best 'new' gibson guitar I have played since I fell in love with a orange sparkle finish explorer in the same shop early 2000's. The epi bird was quite light, balanced and was impressively good set up - played like a dream. And I was somewhat impressed by the acoustic sound too, very rich. Don't need another guitar, but it's nice to see that they can make them this good, right from the factory.

London City[/url] 4x12 in super cool green tolex that had just been sold but not picked up yet (made in Holland; loaded with vintage Celestions and larger than a typical 4x12 so probably better for bass).
I just sold a London City 130 head (superlead clone) in that same green colour; took me nearly two years even at a very good price. That brand was rated 'crap' in the 70's, even though the amps are very good SL clones. They sound like marshalls, only practical difference is the chassis, wich is aluminium on the LC amps. I think the bad rep. comes from the cabinet material, though - they are made from chipboard and really just fall apart. Before I restored mine, when lifting the head by the handle, the amp just wanted to go back to the floor, leaving me with a rather oval chassis. The speaker cabinets are extremely heavy, and many people think they sound too dead. Usually ithe old ones have lost their original speakers, and most of those heavy LC chipboard cabinets have been junked. But yeah, they look cool!

Some of those prices are actually not bad (when converting to C$), so some of you Northern Euro members may want to snag a deal if the conversion is in your favour and the shipping not too bad.
A friend of mine makes a sport out of buying things at a good price in Denmark and sell them with a small profit here in Norway. Seems like a lot of work for saving a few pennies, but I've noticed that at least vintage instruments is far better priced in Denmark. The few shops here in Norway. that actually sells used guitars have insane prices, basically just equals the highest ebay asking price for that instrument.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Skol
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 06:49:58 AM »
Yeah, I googled around a bit about London City and found that out.  The amps are apparently awesome mod platforms.  Still look cool. 

I was surprised how not exorbitantly priced the vintage stuff in Denmark was.  New stuff is a little more, but not much.... except stings which are double-triple even for some reason.

I was surprised about the Bonamassa - I had also heard great things (the fit and finish was good, and it played great).  I think it was just down to that specific one being a bit dead; wood isn't consistent. ... also I may have been trying to talk myself out of buying one.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)