Author Topic: A silly idea?  (Read 8493 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: A silly idea?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 04:37:44 AM »
 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
Here is the Silly Idea bass. As you can see the edges of the route are a little rough, but these will be hidden by a chrome ring in time.

What I can say is that this thing sounds absolutely killer. A warm, consistently present Jazz Bass tone. Enough treble if you require it, fast response and brilliant dynamics. A reassuring presence in the mids that can be somewhat lacking with Jazz pickups. Even string-to-string response, excellent harmonics... the works! I'm using 250 k pots wired up like a conventional Jazz bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
Good work there. Looks okay without the ring but I can see covering the edges with a chrome or black chrome ring.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2017, 07:20:56 AM »
That looks great!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
That looks smokin'! I really like it.

It's builds like this that keep prodding me into GAS that I do not need..... ;D
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
That looks really good and i'm pleased to hear that the sound is so full.
Louder bass!.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
Sound clips! Sound clips!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
Very cool!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
btw, where did you find the pickups?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 02:44:44 AM »
btw, where did you find the pickups?

The pickups came from Ebay. I'm on several Facebook marketplace pages for bass gear, and I was looking up used Thunderbirds. The pickups came up, so I messaged the seller asking for dimensions etc. I then spotted the same pickups on Ebay (for less!) so I bought them from there.

Oddly enough I was reading about John Entwistle's Fenderbirds last night, and apparently Peter Cook recessed the pickup mounting screws. I did the exact same mod to these pickups before fitting them, and before reading the article.

I just bought some sort of Line 6 space station from a guy at work, so I will record clips using that in the near future.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
Looks really great and I'm sure it sounds great too. Have you checked how the pickup locations measure with a 60's T-Bird locations?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »
Looks really great and I'm sure it sounds great too. Have you checked how the pickup locations measure with a 60's T-Bird locations?

I'm not sure where to start with a thing like that! If you have the numbers I can do some checking.

I got a chrome ring for the bridge pickup, and had to grind 1mm or so from the inside of the ring to fit the pickup. A bit annoying, but it does look cleaner for it.

The bass is getting its first public outing on Sunday, so I might have some pics or something to show for it then. I will try and get some audio of it out. As I have it strung with flats you only get half of what I'm sure the bass can do; with rounds I imagine it would really snarl. Imagine a thicker, fatter Jazz bass without the dental-drill highs and you might be imagining the right thing.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
  I have always found Jazz basses to be anemic.  While I am not a big fan of TB plus pickups they are sure to give your Jazz a kick in the ass, I say go for it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
While I am not a big fan of TB plus pickups...

It's funny, I wasn't either at first. They didn't sound that special to me solo. They don't have the distinctive character that I hear in '60s bird samples, or recordings that I know were made with them. But I find it really easy to dial in a sound that works great for me in a band context. Direct or amped. I often need no EQ at all, though I like a little overdrive.  The three other basses I still own (Greco bird, Ibanez blazer with Alembic P/J set, Dano DC bass) require a lot of fussing and fighting, each in their own way.