Author Topic: One lucky guy  (Read 2988 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
One lucky guy
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
So a Steinberger bass mysteriously arrived at my office today. I partially unwrapped it and carried it home. (I usually walk to and from work, about 20 minutes each way.)

My wife greeted me at the door and asked "what is that?" I answered, "a guitar", worried she'd be alarmed at my extravagance.

She was annoyed, but for a different reason.: "Why didn't you call me? I would have picked you up!"

How lucky am I ????

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: One lucky guy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
She's a keeper!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:05:22 AM »
If a Steinberger arrived at my door, mysteriously or otherwise, I'd be elated! And to have wifey get peeved about not coming to get you....well, I say treasure the moment.

Unfortunately I have passed that milestone and achieved saturation level.
Now when anything shows up at my door the standard comeback is: "I better see one go out..."
???

What did you get?
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
I'm with Dave!

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »

Unfortunately I have passed that milestone and achieved saturation level.
Now when anything shows up at my door the standard comeback is: "I better see one go out..."
???

What did you get?

Actually I try to maintain that one in, one out rule. I figure on selling my Rick Shadow bass once a project I'm involved with now ends.

It's an XP2-A (active) model. The second I've owned.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
Yeah, at this point I too have to maintain that balance. That was one reason I went and fixed up that G&L rather than go for something "new". The space was already taken up so technically I didn't add anything.

I have an '86 XL-2 that I picked up in 2004 (when they were still affordable) and had Peekamoose do a restoration
(refret, headpiece reset and new pickups run passive). Still plays like new.

In 2011 I picked up an '88 XM-2, really nice shape. The original owner had mounted an EMG boost switch that I didn't care for so since the extra hole was already there I went ahead and put in an EMG pre with variable mid. This thing is like an angry piano all day. They really don't need much EQ.

Congrats! Love them Steiners!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »
See, here's where you can use Leo Fender's genius to your advantage. Buy two Fender basses. Let her see you swapping necks. After that, you can keep sneaking in new Fenders and tell her you're just swapping parts between your existing basses.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 07:14:18 AM »
I tried the "One In - One Out" thing a few years back. One went out, but about eight snuck in! Now I'm trying to put the breaks on it completely. Congrats on the new Steiny!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »
See, here's where you can use Leo Fender's genius to your advantage. Buy two Fender basses. Let her see you swapping necks. After that, you can keep sneaking in new Fenders and tell her you're just swapping parts between your existing basses.

She's gotten pretty crafty over the years so my success at sneaking in anything new is severely abbreviated, especially since I've pretty much hit my limit on Fender's. My Fender GAS is in remission. I have what I need and at this point she knows them all by sight.

Having said that, I will add that the upcoming Epiphone Embassy is extremely tantalizing, especially at $400.
I will have to mount a sale for one of those.....

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
I clicked on this expecting the thread to be about a former Dudepit member!
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
I did as well

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »

I did as well

His attention-craving act wouldn't fly here.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »
She's a keeper!

These guys who find wives that are keepers--I don't know how they do it.  Even just keeping a girlfriend is usually a challenge for me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:32:38 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 11:13:07 PM »
Go shoppig with them! Even though they buy what they want anyway, when she looks at an expensive jacket or something - tell her that she needs it and that she deserves it. You only have to do this once, she'll remember.

When I got together with my wife, I agreed to buy no more than one guitar each year. Every time I come home with something now, I say : ...but this is a bass! and she just goes ah, ok.. Love her :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 05:37:32 AM »
For years I have been trying to explain to my beloved wife that the tried and trusted biological concept of "spontaneous generation"

https://www.britannica.com/science/spontaneous-generation

is alive and well and my bass collection living and multiplying proof for it. She remains unconvinced that there is no outside influence when a bass catches her eye that she believes not to have seen before. I am then all too often the innocent target of missiles of mere conjecture. Alas!, doubt is a terrible thing where steadfast faith is required.  :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...