Author Topic: One of Gene's Grabbers for sale  (Read 13782 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: One of Gene's Grabbers for sale
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
Rest easy, metalheads...
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/gene-simmons-trademark-devil-horns-withdraw/

Gene was never in the running for that gesture. The University of Texas (known to Aggies as t.u.) has been using it since long before Gene was born.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
I still say he was never serious about securing that trademark. I wasn't surprised to see that reported at Forbes today. But the name of Gene Simmons and his number one trademark have been all over the news and social media over the last ten days, haven't they? I just wonder if he's got another announcement coming soon (and wanted to prepare the masses for that) or if he just felt lonely over in Europe and wanted to remind everyone he's still around.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »
I still say he was never serious about securing that trademark. I wasn't surprised to see that reported at Forbes today. But the name of Gene Simmons and his number one trademark have been all over the news and social media over the last ten days, haven't they? I just wonder if he's got another announcement coming soon (and wanted to prepare the masses for that) or if he just felt lonely over in Europe and wanted to remind everyone he's still around.

Didn't he used to say "As long as they print a picture"?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »
Exactly. I'm not saying I would be comfortable doing the same thing (I wouldn't), but the idea that any publicity is good publicity in pop culture is not new or completely untrue.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »
Gene was just here for a comic convention Saturday. Watching him take over a live teaser segment from the station where I used to work, literally take the mic away and running way over time and completely dumbfounding the teenage-looking reporter who I doubt even knew who he was... that was funny. My contacts at the show said he was a dick and charged $140k for his MINIMUM appearance guarantee and never talked to anyone who didn't have a tv camera or leave his three armed bodyguards once he was there. And dear Lord, for all the money he has, you'd think he could get a better wig! There's cheap and then there's that..uh...hair???
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:03:56 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »
And dear Lord, for all the money he has, you'd think he could get a better wig! There's cheap and then there's that..uh...hair???

I swear, I'll never get that. He and Paul have been "supplementing" their hair about the same length of time (since the 70s, according to Ace), but until the 90s there were few times you'd look at Paul and know for sure (and only now because he doesn't even try to hide going between the shorter and insanely longer/bigger wigs). With Gene, it's been WTF? since at least 1984 and that dead raccoon since the early 90s.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
Guys, there is no such thing as a "good" wig. Especially on celebrities. The ones they wear on screen are usually very convincing, but that's because there is somebody fussing with them all the time. The "daily driver" always looks exactly like what it is.
I say, "Let it shine". You ain't foolin' nobody.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »
exactly...grow old gracefully

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
From the seldom seen final Monty Python season. Watch the first couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie48MBNQ_bY

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »
I had friends in the hair era who had pieces that even their groupies didn't know they had. There are great ones, but they're expensive and require a lot of maintenance. Short hair makes it harder to fool the eye, but long hair, real (human) hair in the piece, and a great cut and color once it was placed made it invisible on the guys I knew. Nothing like your (my) brother-in-law's toupee.

At 52, and having been lucky enough not to have needed one (especially after almost 30 years of a fully shaved head being totally acceptable on any white guy not named Telly or Yul), I agree with the idea of letting it go, but I'm not so sure I would have been that sanguine about it in 1986 when I was 21 and surrounded by hair farmers in Hollywood.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
This discussion is one I'm happy to read from outside the interest group. Just lucky - my dad had a good head of hair when he passed at 78.  Out of three brothers, two got his genes, one got my mom's family genes which led to more thinning on top.

;D ;D

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:07 AM »
Here's to good genes!  :mrgreen:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »
Here's to good genes!  :mrgreen:

*groan*
Pun intended?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2017, 07:25:05 AM »
My hair sure as hell isn't what it used to be (1990 here), but hey, I'm still skinny at 53! So yes, good genes.  :toast: I've found it important to go with a cut that suits your available resources.  :mrgreen:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 07:35:38 AM »
There are great ones, but they're expensive and require a lot of maintenance. Short hair makes it harder to fool the eye, but long hair, real (human) hair in the piece, and a great cut and color once it was placed made it invisible on the guys I knew.

And there's the rub. Most get tired of maintaining their hair helmets. Everything gets old, eventually.
Back in the 80s, I had a musician friend that spent a great deal of money getting a "piece" and was over the moon about the prospects of once again having a hirsute appearance. About a year or so later, the following short conversation took place at a club, where said friend showed up with a beret atop his melon.
Q - You're not wearing your piece - how come?
A - Ah, I got sick of it. It was starting to feel like I was wearing a hat.
Q - What are you wearing right now?
A -  >silence<