Author Topic: Real people. Not actors.  (Read 5838 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Real people. Not actors.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 05:42:26 AM »
That's not to say all of their cars are bad. But their ads are clueless, including the idiotic GMC and Buick ads.

Has anybody, either here or anywhere, heard any cute young lady walk by a new Buick & say; "SWEET BUICK"?
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
Has anybody, either here or anywhere, heard any cute young lady walk by a new Buick & say; "SWEET BUICK"?

;D

Maybe when the first generation Rivieras were around. Not since then.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »
If I could afford it, I'd be quite happy with this Buick, even if it is over a decade old.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »
My Dad had two '66 & two '67 Buick Riviera's. I spent a large part of my youth fixing them as things would go wrong. Broken wires on hidden headlights, etc.... One of the '67s was kept around just for spare parts. One of the '66s had a rolling barrel type speedometer. If you stomped on it, you could easily break a motor mount. I didn't buy a car with power windows etc... until 1995 due to the experience fixing the Rivieras.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
My Dad had two '66 & two '67 Buick Riviera's. I spent a large part of my youth fixing them as things would go wrong. Broken wires on hidden headlights, etc.... One of the '67s was kept around just for spare parts. One of the '66s had a rolling barrel type speedometer. If you stomped on it, you could easily break a motor mount. I didn't buy a car with power windows etc... until 1995 due to the experience fixing the Rivieras.

The first generation Rivieras were just as unreliable. But they were good looking. One of my cousins had a '63. It looked great when it was out of the shop.  ;)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »
The first generation Rivieras were just as unreliable. But they were good looking. One of my cousins had a '63. It looked great when it was out of the shop.  ;)

They were not very reliable, but we didn't know any different. I just ran into this photo. I had a '64 Buick Special convertible. When a car hit 100,000 miles in those days, it was a big deal. It had to of been late '72 or so, making the car eight years old. The floorboards had long rusted out in the back seat area. The top & back window had been in rough shape for some time. I added oil every time I filled up with gas..................

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »

Possibly only when she's behind one with its blinker on, going 15 under the speed limit in the fast lane  :bored:  ;D

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
I was given a Buick a while back as a loner, while some work was being done on one of my cars. I felt like I was being ogled by every blue haired lady on the freeway.............. LOL

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
Grog makes a good point. I remember when if your car made it to 100K miles, it was not only a big deal, but the engine was usually totally ready for a complete rebuild.

Today a car with 100K miles that has had any care at all is merely used. Chevy and other makes make cars that are better engineered than anything even thought of in the 60's.

I love 60's and 70's cars, and have driven many of them. Their body styles were often wonderful and distinctive, much more so than today's cars.

Regardless, today's cars are more durable, more economical to drive, and FAR more powerful for comparable sized engines. It blew my mind when I heard that Mustang V6 engines had more than 300 HP. I never thought I'd hear of that in a production passenger car.

I personally think that rescuing GM was a good idea. I think the economic disruption and the negative perception caused by its failure would have added such bad news to the recession that the effect would have made it considerably worse. Perception is almost as important as reality when it comes to a recession or depression.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
Possibly only when she's behind one with its blinker on, going 15 under the speed limit in the fast lane  :bored:  ;D

I was given a Buick a while back as a loner, while some work was being done on one of my cars. I felt like I was being ogled by every blue haired lady on the freeway.............. LOL

Are you two talking about the same lady?  :mrgreen:

Grog makes a good point. I remember when if your car made it to 100K miles, it was not only a big deal, but the engine was usually totally ready for a complete rebuild.

Today a car with 100K miles that has had any care at all is merely used. Chevy and other makes make cars that are better engineered than anything even thought of in the 60's.

I love 60's and 70's cars, and have driven many of them. Their body styles were often wonderful and distinctive, much more so than today's cars.

Regardless, today's cars are more durable, more economical to drive, and FAR more powerful for comparable sized engines. It blew my mind when I heard that Mustang V6 engines had more than 300 HP. I never thought I'd hear of that in a production passenger car.

I personally think that rescuing GM was a good idea. I think the economic disruption and the negative perception caused by its failure would have added such bad news to the recession that the effect would have made it considerably worse. Perception is almost as important as reality when it comes to a recession or depression.

Better than in the 60s and 70s isn't saying much, except for safety. GM still hasn't learned much from the bankruptcy experience.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxXVlxYDHYw

The Blackhawk used the California GS drivetrain, and the fenders were molded, as I recall, from the '39 Roadmaster.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
Newer cars have advantages. The nice thing about old cars is they aren't basically a rolling computer. Eventually, the way things are going, they'll all be self driving. That'll be a sad day.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
If GM had gone under, they'd most likely be Chinese-owned if they still existed. There's enough structure that it was worth saving, but those are the only players with $$ today and over the past 10= years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
Mahk's latest. From the YT description:

Instead of the normal stale blind panel/focus group of "real people," Chevy tried something a little different in their latest commercial.  This time Chevy tries to emulate some type of awful Youtube prank video.  The host goes undercover as a valet and brings back the wrong car...a Chevrolet Equinox.  And just like most Youtube prank videos, it's all fake, they're all actors.  Any normal person would be really upset if the valet brought back the wrong car and tried to sell them said car.  Let's see how Mahk handles the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4eJa_dcGmM