Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Brains trust: Jazz bass help

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chris P.:
I guess it's also how the bass sounds without an amp...

Pilgrim:
I suggest letting the strings mellow a bit before another step. Most flats sound different after a couple of weeks (and a couple of months), and in a good way.

I like to proceed in the "make the least change possible" manner, so strings first, then pickups. There are a lot of pickups for J basses, and many of them show up on Ebay at reduced prices when people keep changing them, looking for their own holy grail of sound.

Dave W:
I wish you luck. The right strings can bring out the tone you want by changing the emphasis. Likewise with pickups. Just be aware that sometimes it turns out to be the particular body or neck and the way it absorbs or reflects certain frequencies, and that's not necessarily limited to cheaper basses or certain species. I once had an '82 P (not cheap in its day) that nothing could make sound like a P should.

Rob:

--- Quote from: Chris P. on June 09, 2017, 01:15:53 AM ---I guess it's also how the bass sounds without an amp...

--- End quote ---

a BIG YES

Highlander:
I have an Indonesian Squier Jazz that sounds just fine from purchase, cheap, second hand, and real scuffy... cleaned up fine, chucked the scratch plate, put a fretless neck on the beast... still just fine...
Kept spare neck for a future plan and no intention of selling on...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version