Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Gibson case lining

(1/3) > >>

amptech:
Hi, folks..

I'm finishing up my '58 Explorer bass project these days, and I ended up making a case for it too. I'm not too worried
about the case being historically accurate, but it will be covered with brown tolex of some sort and have pink lining.

..but where does a guy buy pink lining? We have two local stores that sell some kind of pink crushed velvet, but it seems too thin.
They both also had 'pink faux fur' but it was wery long haired.

So, do any of you guys know what product that will be similar to what Gibson uses? None of the US dealers I'm connected to have such products.  I think the closest I came was searching ebay for 'pink faux upholstery fur' or something, but I don't know what the product I'm looking for is called?

Highlander:
Don't bother with trad linings... go for something radical... mines now 45 years old... :mrgreen:

ramone57:
very nice, Ken!

Grog:
Gibson was known to use some funky lining material from time to time.............

When I made a few inserts for Chinese cases for my 20/20s, JoAnn Fabrics had some material that was fairly close to what they used...........

Dave W:
I don't think JoAnn Fabrics has stores in Norway, where amptech lives.

My guess would be to try a supplier of parts for luggage, they would have fabric for the interior; or maybe a luggage repair place would be able to sell you a small amount. Maybe an upholstery shop or supplier would be able to help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version