Author Topic: Tried a 2017 EB Bass today  (Read 2953 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Tried a 2017 EB Bass today
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »
I stopped by Twin Town Guitars today to buy strings. Lo and behold, there were two new EBs on the wall, a 4 in natural and a 5 in the burst.  It was a pleasant surprise to actually see one in a store. I took down the 4 and gave it a brief test run. It had too much relief but still playable.

Pros: it really sounded good. The satin finish was very nice. The pickups are medium output and well balanced between them. Neck profile was comfortable. I like the 4 inline headstock better than the 2+2 on the 2013-14 version but that's just personal taste. It's more ergonomic than the earlier version. This one was surprisingly light, but it's swamp ash, not mahogany.

Cons: There's nothing about the tone or the looks that says "that's a Gibson." Considering the price compared to other American-made basses, having a gig bag is understandable, but if you want a hardshell case, you may be out of luck finding one that fits. I didn't like the vintage burst finish on the 5er,  too yellow.

All in all, if you're considering one and don't mind that it's not like traditional Gibson models, I'd recommend it.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Tried a 2017 EB Bass today
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Cool! Is Twin Town a Gibson dealer now? It's been a few years since I've been there.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
Cool! Is Twin Town a Gibson dealer now? It's been a few years since I've been there.

Yes, it's very recent. Last time I was in was only 2 or 3 months ago and I didn't see any new Gibson guitars or basses on display then.

There was a poster on the door that they'll be celebrating 20 years in business this August. Hard to believe. That used to be Benedict Guitars. Hard to believe that Roger Benedict has been gone well over 20 years.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
Time flies.............. If I recall correctly, it was opened by two of Dave Rogers former employees. I think one bought the other out. I bought my '73 Les Paul Recording there many moons ago.
American Guitar & Band closed down a while back, they were a Gibson dealer. Maybe that dealership was up for grabs.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »
I'd want some kind of case for it and not just a gig bag, even if it is padded. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:03:42 AM »
I bought the 5er, it's a versaile bass that does what most players would want it do do - the swamp ash body is hardly traditionally Gibson, but livens up the sound. And it has - unlike its predecessor - a two octave neck. Stylystically, I find that the new look has more harmony than the predecessor model, though it's hardly a rare shape or one that would be immediately recognized as a Gibson from afar.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »
I'd want some kind of case for it and not just a gig bag, even if it is padded.

The Thunderbird case is just shy of 5" longer than the EB case, (which is the same length as the Firebird case). I would think that it should work with minor foam modification. All of these cases are awkward and huge. They don't fit in some trunks. I'm not much for Gig Bags either, but it would make it easier to handle.
 Left to right......... EB, EB, Firebird & Thunderbird.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:45:36 AM by Grog »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
No doubt a case could be made to fit by modding the insides, the bass isn't huge. Since its critics claim it looks like a Yamaha and/or too generic, it's possible there's an existing case that would fit. And I understand the gig bag helps keeps the price well below the competition. But I don't understand Gibson not having a case available as an option.

It's different with the basic LP Studios and SGs that come with a gig bag. There are Gibson and several aftermarket cases that fit.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
I think it's pretty common to hear people talk about how awkward it can be trying to put a Thunderbird case in a car.  On the other hand, that's a sacrifice to make for having one of the most iconic basses ever made.  But I would be hesitant to modify a case like that to put another kind of bass in.  Still, there might be a logic to it if you ran out of alternatives. 

It seems illogical that inexpensive basses like many Epis come with cases, but something like the 2017 Gibson EB doesn't.  People use gig bags more than they used to anyway, but I'm too clumsy to do that. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
I think it's pretty common to hear people talk about how awkward it can be trying to put a Thunderbird case in a car.  On the other hand, that's a sacrifice to make for having one of the most iconic basses ever made.  But I would be hesitant to modify a case like that to put another kind of bass in.  Still, there might be a logic to it if you ran out of alternatives. 

It seems illogical that inexpensive basses like many Epis come with cases, but something like the 2017 Gibson EB doesn't.  People use gig bags more than they used to anyway, but I'm too clumsy to do that.

TBird cases fit on the back seat of my Landcruiser with a few inches to spare either side. I can fit so much in the back as well. Great vehicle. My Cruiser is a '99 model (had it since 2000). Not sure what I'll do when I have to change vehicles, as mine is getting on. New Cruisers are prohibitive and have all sorts of useless things as standard which add to the price- like auto, power windows, constant 4WD, independent wishbone suspension etc.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 12:49:34 PM »
TBird cases fit on the back seat of my Landcruiser with a few inches to spare either side. I can fit so much in the back as well. Great vehicle. My Cruiser is a '99 model (had it since 2000). Not sure what I'll do when I have to change vehicles, as mine is getting on. New Cruisers are prohibitive and have all sorts of useless things as standard which add to the price- like auto, power windows, constant 4WD, independent wishbone suspension etc.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I have to replace my 98 Buick, either.  I've gotten used to not having to make car payments for a long time now. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
It's long scale Flying V bass cases where even most SUVs (and all modern station wagons I know of) have to capitulate width-wise. Long scale Explorer bass cases just barely fit, but a long scale Flying V bass case beats everything.  :mrgreen:

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
It's long scale Flying V bass cases where even most SUVs (and all modern station wagons I know of) have to capitulate width-wise. Long scale Explorer bass cases just barely fit, but a long scale Flying V bass case beats everything.  :mrgreen:

Not sure about Explorer Bass cases or what the cases were like for long scale V Basses other than the Ibanez Model 2387B, like I have.
In the case (ha ha) of the Australian made Stamford case that the mid 70s 34 inch scale Ibanez Flying V (Model 2387B) basses, like mine, was supplied in in Australia, it is a reasonably comfortable fit across the backseat of the Landcruiser..
The original case for it on the Australian market measures a relatively economical 1.3 metres in length. Not sure what they came in outside of Oz.
The Australian V case is actually slightly shorter than my three TBird cases- the Gibson one that came with my 08 Bird is 1.34 m and the two Greco cases I have are 1.33 m in length.
I recently added a two pickup Greco in white to the flock- thanks to Aussie Mark.

The original case that came with my Epiphone shortscale V Bass is disproportionately long for the size of the bass at 1.27m.

The backseat space of my Cruiser is a little over 1.5 m wide.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:55:59 PM by veebass »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 05:21:15 PM »
I should have perhaps mentioned that one of my Dean Vs is 35" scale AND has that outrageously large Dean headstock ...  :mrgreen:

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 05:29:57 PM »
I should have perhaps mentioned that one of my Dean Vs is 35" scale AND has that outrageously large Dean headstock ...  :mrgreen:

That would do it.