Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

My "Phoenix" G&L L2000

(1/4) > >>

bassilisk:
This has been an ongoing resurrection, many weeks in the making, that is finally complete. Road tests have finally been performed.

I saved my squirrely necked '81 G&L L2K by installing a Moses Graphite composite replacement neck. There was a touch of trickiness in the installation.
These necks require inserts for machine screws to be installed in them for assembly. Because these are 3* bolt necks I specifically asked Moses about the bottom insert possibly hitting the truss rod since it's on center. They assured my it was a clear shot. Right....more like a direct hit.
Thanks to the skill of my tech of many years he was able to overcome this minor setback and make it work successfully.
*This is only an issue with the 3 bolt layout - newer G&L's with more bolts have no issues.

I also had a brand new G&L preamp harness installed to replace the original pre which was fried.

I have it strung with GHS Precision Flats (my current flat of choice) and it sounds wonderful. The notes are tight and focused, very rich in the lows and low mids, a bit of snap up top. There is a touch of compression but it is not sterile sounding at all. I find this to be a highly successful mod/upgrade over the original neck. I am very glad (and relieved) to have this work out! :mrgreen:

(It's not a Gibson but I feel I should at least get partial credit for the beautiful hunk of mahogany that is the body of this beast.)

gearHed289:
Very cool! You should be pretty happy with that bass. What is the width at the nut and the 21st fret? How much do those Moses necks go for?

bassilisk:
Here's all the info on the Moses neck including price:

http://mosesgraphite.com/productpages/mm-144-music-man-gl-4/

It has a very comfortable profile as well - a shallow C. The standard frets are pretty narrow - I could've gone for something just a touch wider,
but it's a personal preference and I really have no problem with these.

Yes, I am very glad that I can finally use it. The neck it had, though playable, had enough minor issues to be annoying (slight twist), so I didn't play it very much.  Now it's definitely in the rotation again!

gearHed289:
 :thumbsup:

Dave W:
That's a beautiful chunk of mahogany.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version