Author Topic: New songs - Cirque de Juliette  (Read 1123 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
New songs - Cirque de Juliette
« on: June 05, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
I'm still on good and speaking terms with my ex girlfriend Meryem. I'm quite proud she started playing guitar and piano because of me and I have her some confidence to make music.

Meryem wrote some songs and they are strange and poppy. She knows nothing about musical theory, so last year a befriended drummer and I started helping making the songs ready for recording. For instance: one song has a 7/8 beat and she didn't knew it had it and she even didn't knew what 7/8 was, haha! We kept that. We changed other things. In one song she started singing on the 4th bar, but second part she started at the one, so the kick/snare pattern changed. Can be cool, but not in this song. We had to change all kinds of little things.

In the end we recorded it in a local bar, which was closed for a week around Christmas, with one good mic and some borrowed drum mics. The drummer, who recorded it does the SAE sound engineer school... ....but he started after recording. So it might not be comparable to a Lady Gaga production, but mind you that this was no budget with inexperienced musicians (most of 'm no recording experience at all) and almost no recording equipment. So I'm still quite proud what we achieved. A friend added some Rhodes to Mindtraveler, recorded at her home.

For the gear nerds: I used a Behringer (yes!) 4x10", which was in the bar. With a Warwick LWA1000 amp, compressor full on. Mic'ed and Di'd. I used the Mustang for a song like Motorfly, the Rickenbacker with flats (I like the bassline in Mindtraveler) and a Höfner 500/1.

I hope this spotify link works, otherwise you can go to spotify and search for Cirque de Juliette. The pics are of the release aprty. We did two shows now.

spotify:artist:5yV6eX4Mu7ZdUrrUVClPv3

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New songs - Cirque de Juliette
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:54:17 AM »
I'd like to listen but not if I have to sign up to hear it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
Spotify is free.... But I will try to find another way!

And this might work better:
https://open.spotify.com/embed/artist/5yV6eX4Mu7ZdUrrUVClPv3"

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »
Thanks for trying. It only plays a sample a few seconds long. I realize there's a free version, just not interested in signing up.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:03:45 AM »
I won't start the 'spotify and streaming are the future for music'-discussion here :)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:40:44 AM »
Good samples Chris.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:35:49 AM »
Got Juliette rollin' in the background this morning. Nice stuff, she's cool.