Author Topic: Watt's new bass  (Read 22198 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Watt's new bass
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »
Watt does not seem to be that type of guy. He seems to like to use off the shelf stuff, I think he does his basses Econo. No futzing around, just put it together with what you can get or find. Gibson in Toronto offered to build him a new bass, but that's not Watt's style, I guess. He did not take them up on the offer (Maybe he knew Gibson could not really do what he wants, at least quickly?) Look at how long the Shavo bass took!

I think he's like us a bit and wants to put together his own bass, himself, being part of the process.

Dimarzio DP125 might be a little high output for him though. it is not a high advertised pup but any dealer can get one for him though. two blades, about 500 ma output, humbucking for bass. it has a guitar counterpart but i really don't know the other name for it. but i know DP125 is correct.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Dimarzio DP125 might be a little high output for him though. it is not a high advertised pup but any dealer can get one for him though. two blades, about 500 ma output, humbucking for bass. it has a guitar counterpart but i really don't know the other name for it. but i know DP125 is correct.

That's the X2N-B, the guitar version (X2N) is still available as a stock item but the bass pickup is a custom shop special order.

It's really overwound, not a mudbucker but not clear either.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »
X2N-B available here:

gotta use the scroll to DP 125 and the color you want)

http://www.musiclandcentral.com/noname3.html
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
Watt's first mod?

He sent me this today from the warp tour-

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 04:29:29 AM »
 If he is considering a Dimarzio pup As most of you guys know I am a big fan of the model G Early ones you can coil split, later ones are two lead and can only be wired full bore. Even if the pole pieces don't line up over the strings out put is very even from string to string. I bought a Lindy Fralin for this but the model G sounds so dam good in there I'm just going to build another for the Lindy !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
righto,its taken me ages to restring,but the pickup im using in the rear position of my modded eb4l is an artec hxtna-bk.a blade type humbucker,it sounds amazing  lots of nice vintage type overtones a la boris the spider and sounds pretty darn punchy by itself.combined with the 66 eb3 mudbucker in the front position there is a  broad range of tones that dont cancell each other out.i like it.oh yes,its a guitar pickup.standard humbucker size,black with 2 fat silver polepiece rails.
Louder bass!.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
Tubehead, where did you get that artec hxtna-bk.a from?
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
yep thats the place and thats the pickup.
Louder bass!.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 12:06:31 AM »
Got any pics Tubehead?
Digresion our specialty!

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 08:03:50 AM »
It's too bad someone here didn't have a beaten EB body in need of fixing, you guys could put your heads/parts boxes/luthery talents together to make a new mutt for Watt.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 08:21:18 AM »
It's too bad someone here didn't have a beaten EB body in need of fixing, you guys could put your heads/parts boxes/luthery talents together to make a new mutt for Watt.

i think he has a bass that he is working on "watting" that was given him. BUT if we outposters did that, i can donate a set of Grover open gear tuners in chrome. we might have to ship it around between a few of us to actually get it together or collectively donate some moolah to someone (a luthier or coordinator representing US outposters)to get it done for the group.

i would reccomend any of the accepted self-lutherizing (how bout that for a word?) guys here like Doc or GOT (maybe vote amongst us for both jobs ???) or TimThelen in Des Moines to do the work.

Blazer

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »

Look here..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Vintage-Long-Scale-Gibson-Bass-in-Original-Case_W0QQitemZ190248455482QQihZ009QQcategoryZ64402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or perhaps THIS would make a nice modding platform for Mike Watt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-1972-SB-450-Electric-Bass-Guitar-VINTAGE-1296_W0QQitemZ280261439910QQihZ018QQcategoryZ64402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
http://www.myspace.com/smashedexecutive - the first tune.i finally recorded something with the new pickup.its only a demo and the strings are dead but you get the idea.its recorded striaght into my sound card no eq mudbucker on 10 artec on around 7.if i get time i will try to do a recording that is the artec by itself.i have been at the computer doing a mix for a film these last few weeks so its high time i did some music in there.
Louder bass!.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »
If this idea progresses to the point it might be attempted, you should know that it must be a short scale bass if you actually want Watt to play it. He lost the ability to play long scale a while back. Not sure what that means, but that's what his website has mentioned. That being said, I'd gladly donate a part if I have what you need, and if not, a few bucks. With the number of people we have here, I don't doubt we could make it happen.