Author Topic: Watt's new bass  (Read 22195 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Watt's new bass
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
No kidding!  I think my brain melted a little trying to read it ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »
Stream of consciousness.  :)  His writing has been that way as long as I can remember. Come to think of it, his conversation is sort of the same way too.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
Watt wanted to know if you guys knew of any High Output Humbucker blade pickups for his new bass.

He was looking at the bartolini mm4cbc (http://bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm)

I believe that Rio grande Pit Bulls are blade pickups. Are the Franlin Tbird pups blade pickups?

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=30_57&products_id=428

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
If he can afford the time at some point, I'd suggest sending the originals off to Jason Lollar for a nice rewind.

Actually, I have one that I'm not currently using.  If Watt can describe what he's looking for, I'll send mine off to Lollar.  I can forward it to Watt, and let him try it.  If he likes it, I'll swap him for the one in there.  The one I've got is a '60s pickup.  Seriously.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
If he can afford the time at some point, I'd suggest sending the originals off to Jason Lollar for a nice rewind.

Actually, I have one that I'm not currently using.  If Watt can describe what he's looking for, I'll send mine off to Lollar.  I can forward it to Watt, and let him try it.  If he likes it, I'll swap him for the one in there.  The one I've got is a '60s pickup.  Seriously.

AFAIK there's no problem with the originals. I just don't think Watt likes 'em that much, that's why he's used DiMarzios and EMGs before.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
Thanks for the offer but Watt is trying to do is come as close as what he had before, except they no longer make Lane Poors. Also I expect he might be adding a preamp like he had before, but I guess he is doing one thing at a time. He found a Shaller bridge and is installing a jack plate.

Pre '64 Gibson EB-3: ZBS-440 pickup (made by Bartolini - discontinued now, I think) in the bridge, Lane Poor musicman type humbucker added to where a p-bass would have its pickup and the neck pickup removed w/a metal plate over the hole it left. Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with bass-mid-treble eq plus pickup blend control (chicken-headed knob) and a 400/800hz mid frequency mini-switch and preamp bypass miniswitch. schaller bridge replaced stock one. headstock repaired five times - this last time I put in a new piece of mahogany (see attached picture) because it was just glue on glue for the last repairs and this was not strong enough to hold. Les Paul output jack plate pounded out flat to mount output jack where body wood cracked. Strap button on back (near neck) moved lower and strap permanently screwed on to both that and the bottom peg so it don't come off!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
Fralin Chrome bucker Tbird replacements would be cool but I'm not sure if that's what he wants either.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »
Watt wanted to know if you guys knew of any High Output Humbucker blade pickups for his new bass.

He was looking at the bartolini mm4cbc (http://bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm)

I believe that Rio grande Pit Bulls are blade pickups. Are the Franlin Tbird pups blade pickups?

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=30_57&products_id=428

The Bartolini MMs are not what I'd call high output. They're moderate output but intended for use with an MM-style preamp. Maybe Watt intends to put a preamp in there anyway.

Kent Armstrong makes a high-output MM style but I've never heard it.

IIRC somebody used filings to detect a pattern on the Pitbulls and there were polepieces under the cover.

No idea about the Fralins.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »
it might be easier to just have a pickup made to the specs he wants.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
Watt does not seem to be that type of guy. He seems to like to use off the shelf stuff, I think he does his basses Econo. No futzing around, just put it together with what you can get or find. Gibson in Toronto offered to build him a new bass, but that's not Watt's style, I guess. He did not take them up on the offer (Maybe he knew Gibson could not really do what he wants, at least quickly?) Look at how long the Shavo bass took!

I think he's like us a bit and wants to put together his own bass, himself, being part of the process.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
I was going for the rewind, because Lollar would be able to make him what he wanted.  I've got Barts in the Holy Crap bass.  What are the measurments of his?  I might consider parting with one, but I really love them in the bass now.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
what model is are the barts.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »
They may be the CGB? model?  They were originally on Les Paul basses, and not offered to the public.  I got them from a Pitter, and I think that's what he told me about them.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
My 1993 Gibson bass brochure just says Bartolini Bass HB, with Bart TCT active controls.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
this is a pitbull with the cover off in my eb2[img][http://i236.photobucket/img].note the fender string spacing.i now have an artec blade humbucker with alnico magnets in the back of my eb4l and it sounds fantastic.i will take it out later and find the model number.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:01:21 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.